Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Self-Loading What slugs in the Rattler .357?

The 172 grain High Arc hunters are what we use to advertise energy levels. They are very accurate as well.

Rob.
Thanks AOA ROB! New question; Will AOA be offering adapters for after-market Moderators to fit the newest version of the .357 Rattler? The M14 x 1 barrel thread is a tough one. At the moment I'm using an AEA M14 x 1 adapter and an DonnyFL Emperor but can't utilize the factory shroud. Thanks Mike
 
What slugs (size, weight and speed) are you using in your Western Rattler .357? Just got mine so I can't be much help at this time. Thanks! Mike
@MikeK That would depend upon what your goals are. Do you have a minimum power requirement? How far are you trying to shoot? Are you punching paper, shooting steel, or trying to kill something?
 
Last edited:
"Western Ratller.357 Accuracy Test pt.2 Mr.Hollow point" by Michigan Airgunner

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

@MikeK All slugs are true .357: NSA 110 grain HP-FB around 875-880 fps, Griffin 140 grain HP-RBT around 810 fps, some 145 grainers that I swaged around 800-810 fps. All grouped pretty well with reg set at 140 bar. What else have you tried so far?
 
"Western Ratller.357 Accuracy Test pt.2 Mr.Hollow point" by Michigan Airgunner

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

@MikeK All slugs are true .357: NSA 110 grain HP-FB around 875-880 fps, Griffin 140 grain HP-RBT around 810 fps, some 145 grainers that I swaged around 800-810 fps. All grouped pretty well with reg set at 140 bar. What else have you tried so far?
I've gone through 30 - 40 different type and weight slugs and I keep coming back to 81g JSBs for accuracy under 100 yards.
 
172 grain High Arc hunters seem to do well as reported by others but I have not found my magic slug. Most probably user error but I would like to try a different barrel dedicated to slugs when/if something comes available.
 
172 grain High Arc hunters seem to do well as reported by others but I have not found my magic slug. Most probably user error but I would like to try a different barrel dedicated to slugs when/if something comes available.

@MikeK Wait a minute. Out of 30 - 40 different types of slugs none shot acceptably for you? Were these all .357 slugs? Any .358s? What exactly is your goal? Are you target shooting from a bench? If so, from what distances? You mentioned "...for under 100 yards,"but you didn't explicitly state your goal or purpose for this gun. Have you looked inside of your barrel with a borescope? Have you ever cleaned your barrel?What's your reg set at? Power wheel setting? Have you chronographed any shot strings? Above in the quote, you mentioned 172 grain slugs. At which velocities did you try shooting them? I'm not saying you did something wrong, but something sounds awry. Hopefully it is something that can be corrected.
 
172 grain High Arc hunters seem to do well as reported by others but I have not found my magic slug. Most probably user error but I would like to try a different barrel dedicated to slugs when/if something comes available.
We'd be interested in what your settings are, and the speed (fps) and power level (pfe) snd what is the regulator pressure setting. I'd bet that it likes a longer rebated boat tail slug and some "distance" to spin stabilize.

On another note brougt to my attention recently, the semi auto airgun is a 'different type of gun' to sit behind and make good groups with, akin to being accurate with a smoke pole only different.

Relating your experiences will get this and other's sorted out in the future.
 
I wanted to add that I was recently told by another .357 Rattler owner that I could try .3575 slugs and this would cause my slugs to fit more snug in the mag. He said it should eleminate the issue of slugs becoming dislodged/unseated during the shot cycle. I asked where I could get those sized slugs. He said Varmint Knockers makes some or I can size down some .358 slugs. Anyone try .3575 slugs in a .357 Rattler?

My go-to slugs have been NSA 110 grain slugs, but they can become dislodged during the shot cycle and it has caused cycling issues on several occasions. I do like how these slugs shoot from my rifle.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create FREE account

Create a FREE account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Trending in this forum

Back
Top