Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Whatever happened with the FX halo slugs?

Last edited:
These were supposed to be coming out last year as the "best of both worlds" between slugs and pellets. A quick search shows nothing from any airgun retailer except some outdated coming soon advertisement. Does anyone have the inside scoop on what the deal is?
@Bladebum A lawsuit happened. I think y'all can forget about Halo slugs unless FX Sweeden decides to resurrect the project. Why do I say this? Because Halo slugs was a venture promoted and attempted by FX USA. Mr. Archer posted about the legal issues last year.


I was able to piece things together to form this conclusion after reading a substantial amount of legal documents that are a product of the suit.
 
@Danman Copy and paste the URL (the www or http address) from YouTube. Here it is.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Do you know the time stamp when the slugs were discussed?
 
@Danman Copy and paste the URL (the www or http address) from YouTube. Here it is.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Do you know the time stamp when the slugs were discussed?
Ah thanks that's it! It was near the end of the video. I think I tried that but it didn't work?....definitely scarce information about the Halos. After my slug testing I'm hoping my future (Ghost) slug barrel will like the Patriot Javelin slugs, insane expansion vs everything else!!!....which oddly enough Matt D and Roelf are part designers/owners of.
 
Ah thanks that's it! It was near the end of the video. I think I tried that but it didn't work?....definitely scarce information about the Halos. After my slug testing I'm hoping my future (Ghost) slug barrel will like the Patriot Javelin slugs, insane expansion vs everything else!!!....which oddly enough Matt D and Roelf are part designers/owners of.
They are expensive compared to other options, but also cheaper than some. IME they're ability to reliably expand and consistency makes them worth it, especially considering they are for hunting not really plinking or volume target shooting. Pellets are still king for value no doubt, interesting thing about the halos is they were supposed to bridge the gap between performance and value...but obviously they never hit the hit the market to prove that.
 
They are expensive compared to other options, but also cheaper than some. IME they're ability to reliably expand and consistency makes them worth it, especially considering they are for hunting not really plinking or volume target shooting. Pellets are still king for value no doubt, interesting thing about the halos is they were supposed to bridge the gap between performance and value...but obviously they never hit the hit the market to prove that.
I feel the .216 skirted KO slugs by Jsb also 'bridge the gap' with their skirted tails. I have never tried them, but I believe @Pumacarl has with success. The Zan slugs also did well in my expansion testing too. Nothing else expanded enough and would definitely pass through pests I would be targeting.
 
Last edited:
I feel the .216 skirted KO slugs by Jsb also 'bridge the gap' with their skirted tails. I have never tried them, but I believe @Pumacarl has with success. The Zan slugs also did well in my expansion testing too. Nothing else expanded enough and would definitely pass through pests I would be targeting.
I love them so much! Totally smitten. I'm so biased at this point nobody should take my word for it. The difference in going from an 18.13gr JSB pellet at 925fps 34fpe, to the KO 20.83gr at 980fps 44fpe, is staggeringly more than just the 10fpe difference would seem to indicate. At 200y the pellet is doing 460fps 8.5fpe, the slug is doing 705fps 23fpe. A totally different animal. It is so much more fun to shoot, it's like back when I started moving up from springers. The only Halo I care about at this point is the one on the late founder of JSB's head. He earned it, to me.

edit: fixed bc of 18gr pellet, off by .002
 
I love them so much! Totally smitten. I'm so biased at this point nobody should take my word for it. The difference in going from an 18.13gr JSB pellet at 920fps 34fpe, to the KO 20.83gr at 980fps 44fpe, is staggeringly more than just the 10fpe difference would seem to indicate. At 200y the pellet is doing 441fps 7.8fpe, the slug is doing 705fps 23fpe. A totally different animal. It is so much more fun to shoot, it's like back when I started moving up from springers. The only Halo I care about at this point is the one on the late founder of JSB's head. He earned it, to me.
Just way too curious now @Pumacarl
What gun and which barrel, please?
Also
Same barrel for both the 18.13 pellets and the 20.83 XO slugs?
Thanks
Edward
 
Last edited:
Just way too curious now @Pumacarl
What gun and which barrel, please?
Also
Same barrel for both the 18.13 pellets and the 20.83 XO slugs?
Thanks
Edward
My Barra 250z for the KO's, and the 18's I shoot out of an MA2 and a Gauntlet. My 250z barrel is the stock barrel, I did some work on the leade, that's it.

[edited out 18gr Strelok data, I double checked settings and was off slightly, still no major difference between speeds though.] I should add that my Barra shoots the 18 grainers at 1048fps, which would still only be 9.9fpe at 200y.

Pellets are really losing their allure to me though, the numbers and raw performance of these slugs is incredible, oh yeah, they're super accurate too! I've only shot groups from my tripod, standing, at 90y and I could hide the group under a quarter. I'll take it!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create FREE account

Create a FREE account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Trending in this forum

Back
Top