Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Others Some thoughts on GX compressors

I got My S510 (first pcp) last spring in March. I bought waaaayyy to many tins of pellets/slugs over the year but the only tin I emptied to date was a 250 count 18gr AA tin and I'm very low on a 500tin of 16gr AA pellets. I have probably 5,000 pellets and 1000 slugs in .22 on standby easily. So I probably safety shoot 2000/3000 pellets a year going off that. The compressor benefit would be on "range days" at my parents I could shoot more that the 55 shots per gun I get in one go, I could take compressor with, esp helpful when testing pellets. For plinking and hunting the handpump is fine. I also think you can better control moisture ingress (into the pcps) with a compressor.
lol, I guess that might be why I’m on generic hand pump number three, plus the hill and it is only for the S510.

When you get a compressor it will be interesting to see what happens with how much you shoot.
 
As I have now had in my use over six GX compressors, several CS2 and CS3 models, and have worked on all of them, so I have some insight into maintenance and use that might be of use to the members.
First, I'm a huge fan of the CS2, it is robust and simple in design and operation. Since I would never walk off and trust a CS3 or other compressor to shut off on it's own, I have to be there and watch it anyway, so no need for auto shutoff in my book. The CS3 is the same design as the CS2, with a simple addition of auto shutoff parts.
Second, these are to fill guns only and any attempt to fill large cylinders is at your own risk. Can it be done, sure! Is it advisable? That's up to you, but that is not what they're designed for. If you are judicious, it can be done, but I have the compressor to fill with, so I have no need for a large cylinder.
The CS2 is so simply designed, that if properly cared for, I can't imagine it would not last quite a long time. The electronics are simple and very well thought out, and the piston and seals are spot on.
If you maintain the compressor, you add much to your odds of it lasting, and I don't care what anyone, even the manufacturer says about that. They may say it never needs lube, but don't bet on it, especially when it's so simple. There are plenty of videos online showing how to disassemble the unit, but even that is not all that necessary. I'd check the gearbox every year or so,check and replenish the gear grease as needed, and not mess with it any more. If you pull the head, then the wrist pin, and remove the piston, clean everything well and regrease and reinstall, you've done wonders for longevity. Silicone or food grade grease for the piston, and really any good bearing/gear grease for the wrist pin. Also remove the pressure block on the bottom front and clean it of rust and install new filters. Do the same for the gauge housing. You've now spend a half hour or so and added to the life of your compressor.
In use, follow the instructions, open the bleed first, start the compressor, and close the bleed. Keep the fill line and gauge block below the gun at all times when filling so that any liquid will stay in the fill line. You will get rust in the fill line at the compressor pressure block and the gauge block, that's a given. If you vent it hard when filling is done, and open it every few months, and clean it up, you shouldn't have any problems with moisture in your guns. I also would open my airgun's cylinder every year or so for inspection. Of all the causes of explosion, which is rare, I would bet many are from unseen aluminum liners oxidizing. An inspection will tell you if your procedures are working for your climate. If you want to add a filter, it's a great idea. I'd personally stick with a filter on the high pressure line, and change the media every 3 months for peice of mind. I wouldn't fool with an inlet moisture filter, unless it's in addition to an outlet filter. Can't hurt, and may do some minimal good.
The very best advice I could give is use nitrogen fed to the compressor. No worry of any moisture, and no filters, except a cotton filter for debris. I use a 40 cu/ft cyl fed to the handle/inlet of my CX2's at 8-9psi and it works great, even fills just a tad faster too. I do a lot of shooting and use about one n2 cyl a month or so. If I'm not tuning or working on airguns, then n2 lasts longer, maybe 2 months. At $16 a exchange, that's pretty cheap, and cheaper than maintaining filters. N2 is not mandatory, obviously, but it's easy. I used strictly air for a good long time and never had a problem, but I also used a filter.
Just a little care, and these units should last and last, and for around $250, they're a steal. I have friends, who i've sold units to, and they abuse them, never use filters, and do no maintenance whatsoever, unless they ask me to do it, and those compressors are working fine, although, I did disassemble them and lube them properly and check out all the connections before letting them go.
My GX CS-1 [?] quit in the middle of an air up. The temperature readout was 54 degrees. No clue of why it quit. I was watching when it quit. The compressor was less than one year old. I had purchased it from Walmart with a three year warranty. I have filed a claim with Allstate but no response from the insurance company yet. This is the 2d compressor that has failed on me. The other was a Nova that only lasted a little over a year. Once more, no sign of why it quit. Out of warranty. Called company and they told me to send the unit to them [my expense] pay for their investigation and, if I chose to repair it, pay them for parts and labor and pay for the return shipping. How can I do that? Instead I bought a cheap compressor at Walmart plus the warranty. The cheap compressor was less than shipping the other one both ways. I had not counted on the company taking days to respond. I will be without a compressor for over a week now, and I have no clue of when I will get an answer on the compressor.
I am starting to think that airing up the PCP rifles is the weak point in the sport of shooting air rifles. Pile EXPENSIVE compressor problems on top of air leaks in the rifles and I will soon be bankrupt. The price of premium pellets isn’t helping either. To fix my FX regulator was over $200 dollars, and it wasn’t the first air leak problem I’ve had with FX rifles. My living in rural northern Nevada does not help as no one around here repairs air guns or high pressure air compressors. Should I give up or go bankrupt?
 
My GX CS-1 [?] quit in the middle of an air up. The temperature readout was 54 degrees. No clue of why it quit. I was watching when it quit. The compressor was less than one year old. I had purchased it from Walmart with a three year warranty. I have filed a claim with Allstate but no response from the insurance company yet. This is the 2d compressor that has failed on me. The other was a Nova that only lasted a little over a year. Once more, no sign of why it quit. Out of warranty. Called company and they told me to send the unit to them [my expense] pay for their investigation and, if I chose to repair it, pay them for parts and labor and pay for the return shipping. How can I do that? Instead I bought a cheap compressor at Walmart plus the warranty. The cheap compressor was less than shipping the other one both ways. I had not counted on the company taking days to respond. I will be without a compressor for over a week now, and I have no clue of when I will get an answer on the compressor.
I am starting to think that airing up the PCP rifles is the weak point in the sport of shooting air rifles. Pile EXPENSIVE compressor problems on top of air leaks in the rifles and I will soon be bankrupt. The price of premium pellets isn’t helping either. To fix my FX regulator was over $200 dollars, and it wasn’t the first air leak problem I’ve had with FX rifles. My living in rural northern Nevada does not help as no one around here repairs air guns or high pressure air compressors. Should I give up or go bankrupt?
Sorry to hear of your problems. Stick with it!!!
 
My GX CS-1 [?] quit in the middle of an air up. The temperature readout was 54 degrees. No clue of why it quit. I was watching when it quit. The compressor was less than one year old. I had purchased it from Walmart with a three year warranty. I have filed a claim with Allstate but no response from the insurance company yet. This is the 2d compressor that has failed on me. The other was a Nova that only lasted a little over a year. Once more, no sign of why it quit. Out of warranty. Called company and they told me to send the unit to them [my expense] pay for their investigation and, if I chose to repair it, pay them for parts and labor and pay for the return shipping. How can I do that? Instead I bought a cheap compressor at Walmart plus the warranty. The cheap compressor was less than shipping the other one both ways. I had not counted on the company taking days to respond. I will be without a compressor for over a week now, and I have no clue of when I will get an answer on the compressor.
I am starting to think that airing up the PCP rifles is the weak point in the sport of shooting air rifles. Pile EXPENSIVE compressor problems on top of air leaks in the rifles and I will soon be bankrupt. The price of premium pellets isn’t helping either. To fix my FX regulator was over $200 dollars, and it wasn’t the first air leak problem I’ve had with FX rifles. My living in rural northern Nevada does not help as no one around here repairs air guns or high pressure air compressors. Should I give up or go bankrupt?
Sorry to hear your compressor quit! Did it possibly just blow it's fuse which is usually 20 to 25 amps? Just something easy to check that has happened on my compressors as well. Hope you get it worked out!
 
Sorry to hear your compressor quit! Did it possibly just blow it's fuse which is usually 20 to 25 amps? Just something easy to check that has happened on my compressors as well. Hope you get it worked out!
I had the machine insured and the insurance company paid off immediately. They told me to keep the machine because it would not be worth the money to repair. I sent the compressor to be repaired some time ago, but no response yet. After the repair shop got the machine I received a call asking me numerous questions about what happened when it quit. Then, nothing. I fear the worst. I’ll get a repair estimate before I commit to the repairs. AD2
 
I had the machine insured and the insurance company paid off immediately. They told me to keep the machine because it would not be worth the money to repair. I sent the compressor to be repaired some time ago, but no response yet. After the repair shop got the machine I received a call asking me numerous questions about what happened when it quit. Then, nothing. I fear the worst. I’ll get a repair estimate before I commit to the repairs. AD2
Man you shoulda jumped on one of the Hill pcp compressors when they were on sale! I believe both AoA and Pyramyd ran a sale on them recently. Buy once cry once I say, theirs a company that will back there product! And they can get the parts to maintain/fix em back up if needed. They are a good stepping stone compressor imo. The quality is excellent, good warranty, British made, will easily keep a few pcps filled (not made for filling big tanks) and isn't anywhere near a dive shop quality compressors cost.
 
Man you shoulda jumped on one of the Hill pcp compressors when they were on sale! I believe both AoA and Pyramyd ran a sale on them recently. Buy once cry once I say, theirs a company that will back there product! And they can get the parts to maintain/fix em back up if needed. They are a good stepping stone compressor imo. The quality is excellent, good warranty, British made, will easily keep a few pcps filled (not made for filling big tanks) and isn't anywhere near a dive shop quality compressors cost.
I guess they get rma'ed to. P.A keeps them in referb deals oftin ..

I look at it all anymore as it's all a you buy , you try , and hope it don't make you cry .

( Being I'm the king of lemons I cry alot 😭).
 
I absolutely love my L3, it gets used several times a week and has been going for coming on thee years now. It will never take the place of the Daystate @TerryE1 has that we use but has been super helpful for those overnight trips to get the guns aired up and sighted in. Worth every penny just for its portability.
 
Last edited:
This is the stuff that keeps my aeay from PCP . Lol. Just to shoot a pellet ..lol. nearly a racket.. I hear guys say going down the rabbit hole .. no it's the the money pit ..
 
I guess they get rma'ed to. P.A keeps them in referb deals oftin ..

I look at it all anymore as it's all a you buy , you try , and hope it don't make you cry .

( Being I'm the king of lemons I cry alot 😭).
Lol that's how you know they are decent! You'll never see a refurbished GX for sale. Someone either needed something bigger, trashed it (ie not maintained or didn't know how to properly use), or yeah the odd one breaks I'm sure, but it's still in another category when it comes to quality. My Hill hand pump is topping off my pcps probably every other day now and other than 2 o-ring replacements and the wuss hose leaking that came with it's been excellent. Annnndd I probably just jinxed myself 😂🤦‍♂️
 
I have had a cs2 for a just under a year and a half. It has been great no problems. At the year mark I took the head off cleaned everything and re lubed the piston top and bottom. I also took apart the check valve in the bottom and cleaned and re lubed that. It was quite dirty inside but got everything cleaned out. Haven’t been into the gear box and probably should. Just a little intimidated by it. When filling I use a small air Venturi cotton cannister filter that feeds into one of the larger tuxting type filters with an internal cartridge filled with desiccant. I was surprised the larger filter didn’t slow everything down more. It only takes about 2-2.5 minutes to charge the whole system from 0-200 bar and start filling the gun. Def an awesome compressor. Thinking of getting the gx4 so I can top up the two 60 min scba tanks I have.
 
I have had a cs2 for a just under a year and a half. It has been great no problems. At the year mark I took the head off cleaned everything and re lubed the piston top and bottom. I also took apart the check valve in the bottom and cleaned and re lubed that. It was quite dirty inside but got everything cleaned out. Haven’t been into the gear box and probably should. Just a little intimidated by it. When filling I use a small air Venturi cotton cannister filter that feeds into one of the larger tuxting type filters with an internal cartridge filled with desiccant. I was surprised the larger filter didn’t slow everything down more. It only takes about 2-2.5 minutes to charge the whole system from 0-200 bar and start filling the gun. Def an awesome compressor. Thinking of getting the gx4 so I can top up the two 60 min scba tanks I have.
Can't go wrong with a nice GX. Mines still running after two years of hard use! It's been taken apart by me a few times and lubed as best as possible without going in to the bottom end.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create FREE account

Create a FREE account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Trending in this forum

Back
Top