Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Reminiscing About Where It Began For Me

PA_AirHead

HAM Sniper
250
867
PA
HAM Points
1,775.25
Country flag
Where did the air gun fever start for you? Like what was it about em that drew your gaze in a magazine or while shopping for your wife’s “products” in the sporting goods section of Walmart while she sits in the car. “I’ll only be a minute Honey Buns”….

Well for me it was when I bought my first home. It was a 900 sqft piece of the American dream for my daughter and I. We were on our own, so Honey Buns could buy her own crap!!!! That’s whole different story 🤣.

Anyway, we were now in a neighborhood and powder wasn’t going to be even a remote option. Well, there I was, buying fishing gear (men’s products 👍🏻) at the now long forgotten Gander Mountain store in upstate NY. I made my way through the plethora of here fishy fishy lures and rounded the corner to be greeted by a white and red box with “1100 FPS” printed on it. I looked at this picture of a GAMO break barrel called “Big Cat” in .177. I thought holy crap!!! I can shoot that in the back yard, after all it’s just a “BB” gun. Receipt in hand as well as some here fishy fishy lures and some ballistic tip GAMO pellets, I was loaded for bear so to speak.

I got home and unboxed that howitzer looked at how it works. No magazine on this one. Just likes dads ‘ol 16 gauge single shot. I remember breaking the barrel all the way to the cocked position and thought “S#%*, this things got some ass”. Stepped out back and squeezed the .5 mile long trigger and “CRACK!!!!” 😱 WTH?!!! This is like shooting a damn .22LR. I’m sure the cops will be here if I keep this up 🤣🤣🤣🤣. I’ve learned a lot since then. One thing I’ve learned…… more GAMO’s have been sold because of 1100, 1200, 1300 FPS than Chevy 350’s 🤣. I hate shooting the Big Cat, it hurts. Yup, I still own it. That was 2009. Fast forward to 2020 and the insanity that happened and I found myself looking for another break barrel.

This time the GAMO had a 10 round magazine. The Swarm Whisper Fusion 10X. This time it was to be a .22, and I had my doubts that an airgun could do much with such a “big pellet”. I still knew jack about airguns, I just wanted another one. I’d never even heard of a pcp at this point. Amazon dropped that bad boy off on my doorstep in a few days. Mounted the basement bargain GAMO branded scope and took it down cellar. I would go to jail if I shot this thing in the back yard of Middletown, NY. I was remarried at this time and had moved (Honey Buns does her own shopping 😉). Anyhow, I had some plywood down stairs that would surely stop these .22 pellets, after all, how can a break barrel really push these all that fast? Well the plywood didn’t stand a chance and the cabinet door behind it proved it!!!! 😳🤯 What is this devilry behind this pellet. This thing could seriously wreak havoc on squirrels and chipmunks!!! I was amazed!

Well it wasn’t too long afterwards, like that evening and I was searching youtube for GAMO videos. Then it happened!!! These three dudes from South Africa popped up on a list of videos. These guys were whacking pigeons from 100, 110, 150 yards!!!!! With air rifles?!!!! No way!! Color me curious and with a credit card and nothing but time!!!!!

After doing some research and discovering that I was way under educated on the power of air and also how pricey the pcp market was, I was on my way to my first pcp. But where to start? Well, Amazon had my break barrel, let’s see if they have the fancy PCP’s. A week later my first pcp landed at my door step and I was STOKED to say the least. My Benjamin Akela .22 had arrived. I was amazed at the way this guy felt. It felt “real”. It felt like a powder burner, it felt like I could take it into the back of the gun truck from Iraq and handle my business…. Ok maybe not that real, but you get the point. This changed everything.

I topped the Akela with a Hawk Vantage scope on a catalever mount. Man I was in heaven. I still knew nothing about PCP’s but I had one. Over the next two weeks I discovered Utah Air Guns and in that time period I had .25 caliber AEA Varmint and an Athlon scope in my hands. “Are you kidding me, I spent $***.** on a scope?!!!! Man I grew up with $39.00 Tascos on our .22’s. How the *%** can a scope cost this much?!!!! 🤣🤣🤣.

In the next few weeks I spent a fair amount of money on this addiction on another AEA (a regulated Element in .25) and another Benjamin the infamous P Rod .22

It’s now 2025 and I have a decent collection and I still own every break barrel and pcp I have purchased in the beginning.

I’m still buying here fishy fishy lures as well. 😎 IMG_5316.webpIMG_5317.webpIMG_5318.webpIMG_5424.webpIMG_5913.webpIMG_6703.webp
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6017.webp
    IMG_6017.webp
    521.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
"Those 3 dudes from Africa" lol I can really relate to that 🤣...Those 3 guys did NOT help me keep my money in the bank, once i found their channels.
I was gifted a crosman break barrel at the age of 10 from my dad and quickly got hooked. Shot crosman pellets exclusively (was there anything else!?) from the big box stores. Ended up selling it to my cousin years later. Fast forward to 3 years ago (mid thirties) and I figured time to get my gun license and get some beefier airguns, powder being out of the question as well where I live. I remember hitting up the internet to see what's out there (at this point I too thought Gamo was the holy grail that topped everything else🫣) Well I was quickly led to Airarmshuntingsa YT site and in astonishment watched small birds being plinked with ease at 40, 50, 100Y+😯....with....what's a pcp?! Matts enthusiasm was real. After a goodly amount of research I went with an S510 in .22 and a TX200 in .177. Now a Brk Ghost HP rounds out the AG family, thanks in part to Hams stellar review of one.
If you told me 3k airguns existed 5 years ago I would have probably laughed in your face.
 
Mine started because I for some reason saw an ad for an Umarex Hammer .510 lol

With that said , I bought one. And some ammo. A compressor. You know the deal lol.

Got some 600 gr .512 from Mr Hollow Point and there I was blasting through fridges and trees behind the trees behind the fridges.

I also bought a Hatsan Flashpup QE. In 22 so I could teach my ex fiancé's son how to shoot. The cocking was too much for a 7 year old so we got a Benjamin Prod. He turned out to be quite the little marksman, printing 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards with .22 pellets, ya that may be 3 moa but he was SEVEN.. It was fun teaching him the fundamentals.

Screenshot_20250413_105827_Instagram.webpScreenshot_20250413_105808_Instagram.webpScreenshot_20250413_105910_Instagram.webpScreenshot_20250413_105931_Instagram.webpScreenshot_20250413_110154_Instagram.webp
 
I went from the old red Ryder to pumps guns. I still love those old pumpers.
tried the springers nothing reall high end the last was the Diana maybe 30 years ago? got no love for the springers, back to pumpers.
then a few years back the PCPs caught my attention honestly by accident.
while chatting with a friend about vintage pump guns he comentent we should look into English gun hell they like to shoot they cant have reall guns so they have bound to figured out the air gun by now. American dont need airguns so why would we biuld out anything more then toys.

so the the path to no longer haveing pocket change began.
 
Mine started because I for some reason saw an ad for an Umarex Hammer .510 lol

With that said , I bought one. And some ammo. A compressor. You know the deal lol.

Got some 600 gr .512 from Mr Hollow Point and there I was blasting through fridges and trees behind the trees behind the fridges.

I also bought a Hatsan Flashpup QE. In 22 so I could teach my ex fiancé's son how to shoot. The cocking was too much for a 7 year old so we got a Benjamin Prod. He turned out to be quite the little marksman, printing 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards with .22 pellets, ya that may be 3 moa but he was SEVEN.. It was fun teaching him the fundamentals.

View attachment 12715View attachment 12716View attachment 12717View attachment 12718View attachment 12719
Got some 600 gr .512 from Mr Hollow Point and there I was blasting through fridges and trees behind the trees behind the fridges.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
 
Grew up watching A Christmas Story every year, had a red ryder, and some daisy pistol I think, that would play with along with my brothers. Left home and didn't think much about airguns.

Fast forward about 20 years to circa 2020-2021 time frame, and my dad started talking to me about his new airguns, sending pictures of his shooting and new guns. I just smiled and commented/thought about him playing with his glorified bb guns and glad he had a hobby to enjoy. Went to visit for Thanksgiving 2021, and went out to see/try out his "toys". Boy was my world rocked and what airguns really were and capable of, as well as how much fun! Ordered my "first" airgun from Pyramyd, Crosman Diamondback break barrel, and started my journey for a few months before putting on hold for deployment.

Didn't do much more, other than talking and occasionally reading about airguns until February of last year when I bought my Texan LSS CF for eventual hunting, Crosman 100th Anniversary 362 and legacy, and pair of Umarex DX17 pistols. The collection has grown quite a bit since then, including 840, 111B, 880, and 2 red ryders from my childhood now living with me as well. I have 2.5 of my 4 kids at least mildly interested in airguns, and even occasionally get the wife to shoot one. Plus Mondays are my "range time" where I get together with my brother that lives near me and we shoot airguns together. I might have dove headfirst into all, and have something from every powerplant type now.

My love is with pumpers, I'm a sucker for lever actions, and finally starting to find some accuracy after my newest pcps.
 
Mine started when my dad gave me a daisy BB gun for my 4th birthday in 1956. Around 12 years later I bought a Sheridan pump rifle. I killed so many pest birds that I didn't see any around for around 3 years😁. It was stolen from my father in-laws cabin in the desert some time in the early 80s. I bought a rws34 in 1990 then picked up a used rws 48 2 years later. I made the mistake of giving my son the 34 and he left it behind the seat of a moving truck.🤬 It wasn't until 6 or 7 years ago I pulled the old 48 out and was trying to get it zeroed. It seemed under powered so I joined GTA to get info on how to rebuild it. Then the dark side got ahold of me and all of my savings disappeared.🤣😂🤣
 
Reminiscing where it all began for me....

Easy:

🔘 Beginning: With a $99 springer/scope set, from the bottom of the bargain barrel.

🔘 Then: It was going rapidly downhill from there....

🔘 Now: I have spent .... times as much by now.
[Yeah, I just deleted what I admitted in writing — after all, this is an airgun forum and not a confession booth]: 🤐

Matthias



PS: Do you have the courage to grab a calculator and figure out your own state of obsession with this hobby...?
(Once you got your total, I will gladly pass you the phone number of my psychologist, if you like.)
 
Last edited:
PS: Do you have the courage to grab a calculator and figure out your own state of obsession with this hobby...?
(Once you got your total, I will gladly pass you the phone number of my psychologist, if you like.)
[/QUOTE]
You know what, I have just about every single reciet saved from when my round #2 obsession started 2.5ish years ago to now. I could add them up right now😒....if I wanted too🫣....I'm not afraid 😟🤯. If I could guess, now that I have the Hill compressor around 8-9k.....for air rifles.....it's fine....as I shop for mo pellets, and a 50hr service kit for the Hill....
 
Last edited:
PS: Do you have the courage to grab a calculator and figure out your own state of obsession with this hobby...?
(Once you got your total, I will gladly pass you the phone number of my psychologist, if you like.)
I did that february of last year hahaha

Between 5 rifle setups I was somewhere around 20k invested with supporting gear (bipods etc)

I don't look at someone spending money on hobbies like that as a bad thing as long as it isn't impacting their life megatively or someone close to them, when we work we are investing time which IMO is priceless, and it can never be given back to us, so to trade your time for something you love doing , imo , is very warranted.
 
Between 5 rifle setups I was somewhere around 20K invested with supporting gear (bipods etc)


Well, you just made me feel good, really good. 👍🏼

In comparison to you...
I'm cheapskate, and scotsman, a tightwad, a saver, what have you!!


To express my thankfulness for putting my spender's conscience at ease and to slow my heart racing from buyer's fever -- I have given you the 😍-smiley as response to your post above.


And now, with my spirits lifted from gloomy feelings of spender's remorse, I will proceed to pay for a tank valve that someone was so kind to offer me at a nice price. 😊
Then, I might look for some of those pellets that are still lacking in my collection that since a year extends over 3 caliber sizes.
The world is hole again.
Thank you, @CTAirgunner

Matthias
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create FREE account

Create a FREE account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Trending in this forum

Back
Top