How very true and I am just as guilty.I don’t but really should. Those are actually tough shots as many of us have no idea just how low we will shoot at really close range.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
How very true and I am just as guilty.I don’t but really should. Those are actually tough shots as many of us have no idea just how low we will shoot at really close range.
@Chief55 Thanks Chief! That may be a good idea to zero an offset red dot reflex sight for around 8-10 yards.Dot sights are incredibly light and you can leave both eyes open to use them also they can be mounted at an angle with the mount coming out from under the scope. I have mounted flash lights that way as well.
Your range sounds amazing!The shortest target that my buddy and I have set up is 18 yards, and we shoot a lot of varying distances with spinner, field targets, and steel out to 162 yards. Plus, we have 35. 50, 75, 100, 150, for paper targets.
We have a nice shooting range!
It really is a fun place to shoot, it's at my buddy's house, I will try and get some better pictures tomorrow when I am up there.Your range sounds amazing!
I can remember learning this the hard way when I shot competitive archery. At an ASA shoot they set a 3d deer target 7 yards away. I was like what, this should be an easy 12. Nope didn’t even get in the 10 ring. I forget exactly but I needed to dial like 40-50 yards on my sight. Was an eye opener.How very true and I am just as guilty.
@Dogowski here are some pics of our shooting range inYour range sounds amazing!
Wow! Thanks for the great pics and the detailed look. You have exactly what's needed to practice all disciplines of shooting. Awesome!@Dogowski here are some pics of our shooting range in
@AnEnemyAnemone Now you're the type of airgunner I'd like to hear more about this from. Can you tell me more about your 3-5 yards shooting habits? Which gun(s) aer you shooting at that distance? What sort of optic(s) are you using?I got back into airgunning because of back yard pest issues. My property is in a weird sort of shape, and my longest sight lines are about 30-35 yards. Where I have my "practice range" set up, I have 30yd shot, but I don't leave the chair and table set up there. If I'm just messing around, I sit at the patio table, about 10yds from the backstop. It's fun with the pistols, and perfectly suitable for chronographing.
I've had to figure a lot of things out on my own, because hardly anyone cares what happens at 3-5yds, but that's my distance to target through the side fence of my chicken run.
Most people would say that it should be easier to make a close shot than a long shot. That statement applies starting from the equipment's first zero adjustment. Many first zeros may be from 10-30 yards or more. Vertical offset distances vary on many guns from 1/4" to over 4". Hold over calculations that change constantly, according to distance, apply to the "before first zero" zone and after the "second zero" zone. The zone between the zeros requires a "hold under" calculation that most people do not address. Many experienced shooters struggle with this type of conversation. I don't even try to explain any of this to kids under 12. When you said you had to "figure a lot of things out on your own", you accomplished a feat that I was never smart enough to be able to apply well while shooting. It took several months to develop a better system. It took me a number of years to understand the differences and explain why it is better. I eliminated the "hold over" zone to first zero and the kids shoot much more accurate now. The equipment always exceeds the operator. I keep changing things for the benefit of improvement.I got back into airgunning because of back yard pest issues. My property is in a weird sort of shape, and my longest sight lines are about 30-35 yards. Where I have my "practice range" set up, I have 30yd shot, but I don't leave the chair and table set up there. If I'm just messing around, I sit at the patio table, about 10yds from the backstop. It's fun with the pistols, and perfectly suitable for chronographing.
I've had to figure a lot of things out on my own, because hardly anyone cares what happens at 3-5yds, but that's my distance to target through the side fence of my chicken run.
The chicken coop is about 20yds from my back door, and I have a wireless IR camera set up that forewarns me about my target. At such short ranges, I try to minimize my sight-to-bore separation. For rats, I usually use my Crosman Drifter (2289) (open sights). I have it sighted in at 10 yards, pump 7x, and I hold about a half-inch high. It works well as long as I keep the fence wire in mind.@AnEnemyAnemone Now you're the type of airgunner I'd like to hear more about this from. Can you tell me more about your 3-5 yards shooting habits? Which gun(s) aer you shooting at that distance? What sort of optic(s) are you using?
Great question! I am going to try it at 7 yda and report back.I expect a field target shooter to shoot from 10 yards out, but how about the rest of you? Do you practice shooting from 10 yards? 15 yards as well as 25, 50, and 100 yards?
I ask because when I hunt I swear I have the weirdest luck with animals coming in very close to me. I’ve called a pair of coyotes almost within pissing distance. ’ve had a beaver swim within feet of me sitting on the bank. I’ve had a couple of hogs walk right towards me (often in brush, but one can out of the brush). I’ve head a squirrel run overhead (I nailed him) and some run down a tree next to me. I generally suck on these shots because I generally don’t practice shooting close-range and I rarely expect them to come so close.
Anyhow, back to the topic. If you do practice shooting at close range and shoot well at close range, what tips can you share with the community that may help others in a similar situation?
We use essential cookies to make this site work, and optional cookies to enhance your experience.