Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Does Anyone Regularly Practice Shooting at Close Range with Air Rifles?

Last edited:
Great subject. Scaled down target images, though utilizing only a short 7 to 15 yard range, keep the eye and brain trained to seeing the same size target at what you'd normally see at regulation distances or game at varying longer ranges. Aim small, miss small.
 
Great subject. Scaled down target images, though utilizing only a short 7 to 15 yard range, keep the eye and brain trained to seeing the same size target at what you'd normally see at regulation distances or game at varying longer ranges. Aim small, miss small.
I've thought the same thing, but I wonder if the lack of drop could be counterproductive. Either way, trigger control and a steady hold are always good to practice.
 
I've thought the same thing, but I wonder if the lack of drop could be counterproductive. Either way, trigger control and a steady hold are always good to practice.
At a fixed distance target practice, I'd surmise that drop would be a non-issue because everything on the gun is also fixed and not adjusted, only target size changes. In theory pellet speed wouldn't matter either, so long as it is accurate and consistent.

In regards to practicing holdover amounts at close range, because every airgun I have except my GK1 has a 40 yard zero, what I have figured out is instead of thinking about the actual holdover, think about the distance to the target and then think about how much above the point of impact to hold for that given distance. For example, at 10 yards I'd hold 1.20" above where my pellet will impact. At 7.5 yards hold would be about 1.50" above. At that yardage, in the woods or backyard, it's easy to see what an inch or two looks like, and then hold above accordingly.

This is a typical pellet speed and holdover chart from Chairgun with a 40 yard zero. Check out the arc from 10 yards to 55 yards. There's only about 2.50" of arc there (vertical correction, inch). Sometimes thinking about things in a different perspective and practicing them that way changes the hunt (and practice) for the better.

1000010060.webp
 
At a fixed distance target practice, I'd surmise that drop would be a non-issue because everything on the gun is also fixed and not adjusted, only target size changes.
That's a good point. I was thinking of pesting where the range can vary wildly, but the apparent size of a target is only part of what forms our perception of distance. If one were to judge holdover as a proportion of target size alone, it could be bad to practice on mini targets, but I don't suppose many people do that!

I've long understood the benefit of a ballistic chart especially at long ranges. But since I'm mostly concerned with short ranges, I've never thought of making them for myself... I should do that.
 
I've thought the same thing, but I wonder if the lack of drop could be counterproductive. Either way, trigger control and a steady hold are always good to practice.
After working with hundreds of kids, I have found the most important thing for broad improvement is a steady hold. A pistol will have excellent accuracy if it can be held steady. A steady hold will give the best repeatability. For short range extreme accuracy and what I call the "cone of accuracy" the improvements come from steady hold, grip control and trigger discipline. That is a good base for new shooters to work from and improve. The kids don't need to hold-over for pellet drop. I have a sight that the kids use that is set up for +/- .150" @ 600 FPS muzzle velocity and operates in an ever-varying zone out to 14 yards. Using this setup demonstrates to the kids how accurate the equipment can be and how accurate they can be. That is a fly killer anywhere out to 15+ yards and is more accurate than a salt gun. And no dope sheet is needed. This method teaches long-range discipline on a short-range budget. Sometimes you have to think way outside the box! I look forward to having a conversation about the definition of "Accurate". It varies from person to person. Good subject!!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create FREE account

Create a FREE account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Trending in this forum

Back
Top