Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

3 Strikes They're Out! No More Padded Moderators For Me

Pumacarl

Grand HAMster
3,295
12,419
HAM Points
13,183.25
Country flag
Strangely enough, I've had three moderators crap out on me recently; two fixable, one in the trash. Unfortunately the STO Levitas isn't made to be taken apart, so when I saw fiberous material in the bullet path, that was that. I didn't even know that there was anything like that in there. The other two both had their padding material shift, and in the case of the Tanto I noticed because the sound changed, A LOT! The 0dB mod, I only noticed because I happened to just look through it.

It is not really a big deal on a DonnyFL because they are easy to work on, the 0dB less so. The thing is, lately I have been using moderators with no sound absorbing material in them that work better than the padded ones, and there basically is nothing to go wrong in them. I was not pushing these that hard either, the Tanto at 21fpe, the 0dB at 45fpe, and the high flow Levitas at 64fpe.

The mods that I have that work well without sound deadening material in them are the super rugged TalonP can, the STO core in my Paradigm, the IA1350, and the one that really pushed the point home, -Heartland Airguns Whisper GL (aka the prototype). While I was surprised at how well the IA1350 works, considering it is all metal, the HA mod is at another level of quiet. I won't be purchasing any more mods in the future that use padding, instead of better design and materials. Moderators are like kids, they should be seen and not heard, and I don't want to change their diapers either, lol!
 
Strangely enough, I've had three moderators crap out on me recently; two fixable, one in the trash. Unfortunately the STO Levitas isn't made to be taken apart, so when I saw fiberous material in the bullet path, that was that. I didn't even know that there was anything like that in there. The other two both had their padding material shift, and in the case of the Tanto I noticed because the sound changed, A LOT! The 0dB mod, I only noticed because I happened to just look through it.

It is not really a big deal on a DonnyFL because they are easy to work on, the 0dB less so. The thing is, lately I have been using moderators with no sound absorbing material in them that work better than the padded ones, and there basically is nothing to go wrong in them. I was not pushing these that hard either, the Tanto at 21fpe, the 0dB at 45fpe, and the high flow Levitas at 64fpe.

The mods that I have that work well without sound deadening material in them are the super rugged TalonP can, the STO core in my Paradigm, the IA1350, and the one that really pushed the point home, -Heartland Airguns Whisper GL (aka the prototype). While I was surprised at how well the IA1350 works, considering it is all metal, the HA mod is at another level of quiet. I won't be purchasing any more mods in the future that use padding, instead of better design and materials. Moderators are like kids, they should be seen and not heard, and I don't want to change their diapers either, lol!
I'm with ya- metal & baffles for the win.
Even better if the rifle comes from the factory with a baffled shroud.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create FREE account

Create a FREE account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Trending in this forum

Back
Top