Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

.22 What Pellets for squirrel & Rabbit?

The real question isn't the pellet. It's range, accuracy at range, and retained energy at range. Rabbits are not hard to kill. Squirrels are tougher, smaller, and never sit still for long. How far can you keep all your shots inside a 1 inch circle? What airgun are you using?

Shooting a Zelos.
I have only shot it to 25yd. So far.
Today was the first day shooting it.
Groups averaged about .25"
So sub 1" should be no problem at 50yds.
But won't know until next week's range session.
 
The cheapest pellets I’ve used for squirrel and rabbit are Crosman Premier Hollow Point diabolo pellets (CPHPs). I buy them at Sam Walton’s stores. They aren’t domed, but within 40 yards from the right gun they can get the job done. If I remember correctly the longest shot it took using them was from my Benjamin Marauder Pistol (it shoots them well) from around 50-52 yards on a rabbit. I think I got lucky on that one. If I’m not mistaken, that was the first or second day I had that gun.
 
What are some good pellets for small game?
The best pellets for hunting are, whichever is the most accurate outta your gun. Oddly enough most high expansion 'hunting' pellets end up being less accurate (except Hades 15.89 i have found) than regular domes. The 18.13gr will do alot better past 40Y than any lighter weight expanding pellet.
 
As far as pellets go for killing small game, placement will always trump anything else. Use your most accurate out of your gun and go for head/neck shots and they will be drt. In my experience none of the expanding pellets do much different than a good domed. When you go to a good expanding slug at moderate to fast speeds thats a different ballgame.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create FREE account

Create a FREE account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Trending in this forum

Back
Top