Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

What are your thoughts

I have what I think is a legitimate question. Say you have an air rifle. It is not accurate so you want to sell it. Do you advertise or tell a potential buyer that it is not accurate? What price do you put on it if you do let it be known about accuracy?
Allentown.... I have spent a lot of time there at the bulldog.
 
I think that you should just list what the gun is not accurate with, or what it is actually shooting for groups, and with what. Also, what, if anything, you tried, or did to it.

I once worked on one of my brother's springers that would only do 3-5" groups at 20y with every ammo I tried (about a dozen) except one, which shot almost dime sized groups. If I had not found that particular pellet a good gun would have gone in the trash can. Your gun could be one of those. Also, what you consider to be not accurate, may be accurate enough to someone else. Just list the facts as you know them and what you want. You're not deceiving anyone that way, just saying it like it is.
 
I think that you should just list what the gun is not accurate with, or what it is actually shooting for groups, and with what. Also, what, if anything, you tried, or did to it.

I once worked on one of my brother's springers that would only do 3-5" groups at 20y with every ammo I tried (about a dozen) except one, which shot almost dime sized groups. If I had not found that particular pellet a good gun would have gone in the trash can. Your gun could be one of those. Also, what you consider to be not accurate, may be accurate enough to someone else. Just list the facts as you know them and what you want. You're not deceiving anyone that way, just saying it like it is.
I would agree a percission benchrest gun maybe lights out for hunting
 
I think that you should just list what the gun is not accurate with, or what it is actually shooting for groups, and with what. Also, what, if anything, you tried, or did to it.

I once worked on one of my brother's springers that would only do 3-5" groups at 20y with every ammo I tried (about a dozen) except one, which shot almost dime sized groups. If I had not found that particular pellet a good gun would have gone in the trash can. Your gun could be one of those. Also, what you consider to be not accurate, may be accurate enough to someone else. Just list the facts as you know them and what you want. You're not deceiving anyone that way, just saying it like it is.
I asked and you answered, I appreciate that. I need to ask you this based on your answer: how many air rifle/pistol for sale listings state the info you mention? I will say that I have not gone over air gun listings to see how they are listed.
 
Last edited:
I have what I think is a legitimate question. Say you have an air rifle. It is not accurate so you want to sell it. Do you advertise or tell a potential buyer that it is not accurate? What price do you put on it if you do let it be known about accuracy?
@flyfisher its important to ask questions when buying anything used. I’ve bought an inaccurate used airgun when I didn’t know better. I even watched a video of the seller taking a game animal with the rifle. In the video I’d noticed that he was holding pretty far to the left. I figure it was pretty windy that night. I didn’t ask about it. That’s on me. Turns out that the damn rifle shoots curve balls regularly. I bought another rifle from him that leaked IIRC. I swiftly sent it back to him. He was cool about it and refunded my money.

My suggestion is this, be open and honest when asked about accuracy and issues. You may also wish to get ahead of the problem and advertise this, but if you do, be prepared to lose a few dollars. Some guys can re-crown, re-barrel, or polish the barrel on a rifle and yield improved results, but will submit lower offers because they know that if you could correct the issue that you would and you’d probably keep the gun. In their minds they’re potentially buying a problematic air rifle and they may be able to fix it.
 
@flyfisher its important to ask questions when buying anything used. I’ve bought an inaccurate used airgun when I didn’t know better. I even watched a video of the seller taking a game animal with the rifle. In the video I’d noticed that he was holding pretty far to the left. I figure it was pretty windy that night. I didn’t ask about it. That’s on me. Turns out that the damn rifle shoots curve balls regularly. I bought another rifle from him that leaked IIRC. I swiftly sent it back to him. He was cool about it and refunded my money.

My suggestion is this, be open and honest when asked about accuracy and issues. You may also wish to get ahead of the problem and advertise this, but if you do, be prepared to lose a few dollars. Some guys can re-crown, re-barrel, or polish the barrel on an rifle and yield improved results, but will submit lower offers because they know that if you could correct the issue that you would and you’d probably keep the gun. In their minds they’re potentially buying a problematic air rifle.
Well, I've gotten 3 responses to my question, they all point to the same thing, be honest. So maybe list it for a 1/4 of what I payed for it new and mention that it was inaccurate for me and maybe include a couple tins of pellets.
 
Well, I've gotten 3 responses to my question, they all point to the same thing, be honest. So maybe list it for a 1/4 of what I payed for it new and mention that it was inaccurate for me and maybe include a couple tins of pellets.
I would not go below 50 cents on the dollar if it is nice. Usually 60 cents on the dollar for current lowest available price is the going rate with full disclosure. You can always go down...... Also many people may want to play or try and fix the gun and 40% off is a good deal.
 
What kind of "bad accuracy" are we talking about? The problem is that accuracy is subjective. To some people it is hitting a 2" gong at 50 yards. To others it is shooting sub 1" at 100.

John
I'm talking 6 pellets in a 1/2" group or worse at 10 yards. At 10 yards pellets should group 3/8" to 1/4" groups. At longer yardages, the group will be atrocious. I don't have access to longer than 10 yard range, my range is in my basement. I could go to a State Game Lands rifle rang and have 25y, 75y and 100y targets but until I get tight 10y groups, I'm not going to embarrass myself at the range.
 
I'm talking 6 pellets in a 1/2" group or worse at 10 yards. At 10 yards pellets should group 3/8" to 1/4" groups. At longer yardages, the group will be atrocious. I don't have access to longer than 10 yard range, my range is in my basement. I could go to a State Game Lands rifle rang and have 25y, 75y and 100y targets but until I get tight 10y groups, I'm not going to embarrass myself at the range.
Can we ask what the rifle is?
 
I'm talking 6 pellets in a 1/2" group or worse at 10 yards. At 10 yards pellets should group 3/8" to 1/4" groups. At longer yardages, the group will be atrocious. I don't have access to longer than 10 yard range, my range is in my basement. I could go to a State Game Lands rifle rang and have 25y, 75y and 100y targets but until I get tight 10y groups, I'm not going to embarrass myself at the range.
Ok, That is bad! I am sorry that you ended up with a lemon. Is it under warranty and you can send it back?

Do you like the rifle? If yes, can you buy a new barrel?

John
 
@flyfisher what steps have you taken to try to improve it?

Barrel cleaning and polishing?

Bore scope?

Have you tried to push a pellet through it and feel for tight and loose areas, inspect the pellet for anomalies like a burr.
 
Last edited:
It would be helpful if there was more information: how accurate, what range? The model would be helpful too? I say that because a rifle that has an easy to change/replace barrel is a different animal than one that has a fixed barrel. If it’s a tuning issue: one man’s inaccurate rifle is another man’s dream project gun. Honesty is definitely the best policy.
 
Last edited:
Yep - I recently learned my lesson about this but as a seller - I won a PCP that I had no use for so I advertised it as NIB and I only took it out of the box once just to look at it.
A local guy ended up purchasing whom I sort of know and when he charged it up it was leaking, thankfully for us both he is not a virgin to airguns and it turned out to be a very minor issue. After that I could kick myself for not charging it up and at least made sure it shoots without a problem. I consider myself a true and honest person but that incident sure didn't make me feel that way. Never again will I do business the way.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create FREE account

Create a FREE account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Trending in this forum

Back
Top