Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Pellet speed for accuracy.

Chief55

HAM Ranger
742
3,665
HAM Points
4,374.00
Umarex USA - 20% discount
Country flag
I watch a lot of testing and reviews of different guns and do a lot of reading and it seems like most people are locked in on shooting their pellets in the mid to high 800 fps range and if it is going around 960, they will say it is too hot for them and they need to slow it down. Well, the truth is every gun is different like a snow flake or finger print and some guns will shoot better in the mid 900's. You won't know if you don't try. I get that some people are more concerned about getting the most shots they can but for me, I want the smallest group I can get and with a head shot I don't need any fancy expanding pellets, a dome pellet will work just as well when I brain something, it is not going anywhere. If I can't hit it what good is a bunch of misses and for hunting, I should only plan on getting one shot so it needs to be a good one. I have found that my .25 and my .30 both like to start with the first shot at 960, they are both unregulated. I have another 25 that really likes 947. So, my point is don't go by what Joe someone has to say, don't be afraid to try different speeds as well as those different pellets. That expert is not shooting the gun in your hands. My 25 will shoot one pellet very well at 1025 and another well at 840 but still another hole in hole smaller than a dime starting at 960. I don't want to turn them down when I can have the speed for flat shooting, the power for hunting and great accuracy. So, what I get a couple less shots. Part of the fun is filling the gun, checking the target and just taking my time to enjoy the whole thing. Shooting is fun and can be good exercise to.
 
I always enjoy watching people give a "Tuning Guide" video. I think people are under the assumption they can turn a knob just the same as the YouTube hero and achieve the same unbelievable results. The reality is it's very rare to have two identical guns shooting exactly the same. Each gun from my experience can be very different, having a chronograph and the time to sit and adjust things is key. Another part of it is knowing when to leave things alone, don't screw up a good thing. Lol
 
Shooting a specific projectile next to a Labradar or over a downrange chronograph is a very educational experience.

With the majority of pellets, whether it leaves the muzzle at 960 or 890, it'll be going the same speed at 60-70yards. So the 960 is just wasting air unless you wanna smack the heck out of something at 20-40yards.

Caveat to that is that there are a handful of pellets that have a high BC and/or prefer those faster speeds to where it makes sense to shoot them at the higher muzzle speed.
 
Shooting a specific projectile next to a Labradar or over a downrange chronograph is a very educational experience.

With the majority of pellets, whether it leaves the muzzle at 960 or 890, it'll be going the same speed at 60-70yards. So the 960 is just wasting air unless you wanna smack the heck out of something at 20-40yards.

Caveat to that is that there are a handful of pellets that have a high BC and/or prefer those faster speeds to where it makes sense to shoot them at the higher muzzle speed.
Yes, my point is I want the best possible groups even if it means fewer shots. I believe everyone that is serios about their shooting should have a chronograph.
 
Yes, my point is I want the best possible groups even if it means fewer shots. I believe everyone that is serios about their shooting should have a chronograph.
Yes, I agree. One of the most helpful things one can do when troubleshooting their gun is to shoot it over a chronograph if they have a prior baseline to compare it to. Especially springer shooters.
 
Last edited:
i think those premo "shoot for this speed numbers" is a good base starting point at the very least. Not all guns are massively adjustable of course. My S510 on max, shoots (factory tuned of course) 880fps with 18gr and is accurate! AA did the homework and tested plenty I'm sure, then tuned the guns accordingly. My particular gun may actually shoot more accurately @925 but I'll never know. Now my Ghost is infinitely, but not excessively adjustable (looking at you FX M3!) It can be fine tuned and honed in for accuracy. Dumped a bird off a wire @75Y with it sending an MRD @998fps Yesterday. Spine shot, he flew 100Y and crashed dead, mother cat swooped in and feasted. What I think is paramount in group sizes at faster speeds is how it looks @ distance. I shot 14.3 crosmans at blazing speed out of my ghost. 3 were touching in the 10 ring!! But 2 were bad fliers 😓They were simply going to fast. Now if it's accurate grouping fast @25 yards. Push it to 50.... Betting it falls apart. For .22, Mrds classically can handle it and do well. They are one of the few pellets I trust to 100Y for shooting that fast accurately.
 
I watch a lot of testing and reviews of different guns and do a lot of reading and it seems like most people are locked in on shooting their pellets in the mid to high 800 fps range and if it is going around 960, they will say it is too hot for them and they need to slow it down. Well, the truth is every gun is different like a snow flake or finger print and some guns will shoot better in the mid 900's. You won't know if you don't try. I get that some people are more concerned about getting the most shots they can but for me, I want the smallest group I can get and with a head shot I don't need any fancy expanding pellets, a dome pellet will work just as well when I brain something, it is not going anywhere. If I can't hit it what good is a bunch of misses and for hunting, I should only plan on getting one shot so it needs to be a good one. I have found that my .25 and my .30 both like to start with the first shot at 960, they are both unregulated. I have another 25 that really likes 947. So, my point is don't go by what Joe someone has to say, don't be afraid to try different speeds as well as those different pellets. That expert is not shooting the gun in your hands. My 25 will shoot one pellet very well at 1025 and another well at 840 but still another hole in hole smaller than a dime starting at 960. I don't want to turn them down when I can have the speed for flat shooting, the power for hunting and great accuracy. So, what I get a couple less shots. Part of the fun is filling the gun, checking the target and just taking my time to enjoy the whole thing. Shooting is fun and can be good exercise to.
“I agree with you 100%. A lot of shooters get stuck thinking pellets have to run in the mid‑800s, but the truth is every PCP is its own fingerprint. No two barrels have the same bore diameter, choke, or behavior, so the only way to know what your gun likes is to chrono it and test it yourself.

I’ve found the same thing you have — some pellets wake up in the mid‑900s, some like 840, some stack at 1025. You won’t know unless you try. Chasing someone else’s ‘ideal speed’ doesn’t make sense when their barrel isn’t the one in your hands.

Accuracy beats shot count every time, especially for hunting. One clean, predictable shot matters more than squeezing out a few extra fills. And like you said, a dome pellet at the right speed will brain anything you put it on.

Bottom line: tune the gun in front of you, not the one in someone else’s video. Chrono it, test it, and let the groups tell you the truth.”
 
Yes, I agree. One of the most helpful things one can do when troubleshooting their gun is to shoot it over a chronograph if they have a prior baseline to compare it to. Especially springer shooters.
Buy a chronograph, buy a chronograph…. Anybody want to send me the funds to do that? Plus, which chronograph? One less expensive chronograph I tried was a complete bust. So I shoot my various pellets down range until I finally get good groups. I adjust the rifle when it has something to adjust and keep at it until the groups tighten up and settle in. I attempt very tight groups, but that’s tough to arrange. Ok, I go through a lot of pellets to achieve my goal. But I find it’s cheaper than buying a chronograph that will require set up and batteries and knowledge about how to set it up and how to know when the chronograph is not giving good information. This sport is bankrupting me with compressor problems and all the rest. I had to ship a new Ghost back to the dealer for testing and repair and that was an amazing hassle. How much does a person have to spend to get high quality that actually works? All my “high quality” stuff either fails to work or works badly. The exceptions are Anschutz and Walther. I have had my Walther 300 for YEARS and it only malfunctioned once. I sent it in after I had owned it for several years {10?} and they replaced the regulator and mailed it back FREE of charge. The Anschutz just never failed. Ok, I can’t afford those brands now, but in prior years you definitely got a very high quality product. I assume it is the same now. I recognize those brands do not make the type of products that adjust in many ways, or have large magazines, or are adapted to huge scopes etc. You are limited to single shot rifles in most cases, nonetheless, they are outstanding if you desire really tight groups. AD2
 
I've been trying to find the right tune for the avenge x with a .177 barrel. My biggest problem seems to be deciding on what pellet or speed to test.

I hear all the time let the gun pick the pellet. I am curious how others approach this; do you pick a speed and then check different pellets for accuracy at that speed, or pick a pellet 1st and then try it at different speeds?
 
I've been trying to find the right tune for the avenge x with a .177 barrel. My biggest problem seems to be deciding on what pellet or speed to test.

I hear all the time let the gun pick the pellet. I am curious how others approach this; do you pick a speed and then check different pellets for accuracy at that speed, or pick a pellet 1st and then try it at different speeds?
Most pellet speeds are between 800-900 fps with some exceptions so you pick a pellet and try different speeds to have the energy you desire
 
I've been trying to find the right tune for the avenge x with a .177 barrel. My biggest problem seems to be deciding on what pellet or speed to test.

I hear all the time let the gun pick the pellet. I am curious how others approach this; do you pick a speed and then check different pellets for accuracy at that speed, or pick a pellet 1st and then try it at different speeds?
What I have done, since the internet started, was to pay attention to what others have been having the most success with and start there. Before the internet, I would read articles from the writers of the day, and all of Dr. Beeman's stuff. There is some truth in numbers. Start by picking the projectile most people say is working well in the gun that you are shooting and then shoot it at all the different speeds that you have the patience to test for. You've got to love it, or it will drive you nuts.
 
This is not meant as a smart Alec answer. One way to enjoy quality airgunning without a lot of tuning, buying a chronograph or additional expense is to shoot a quality springer. Yes you can get into power tunes etc., but it’s not a necessity. Me personally I have plenty if free time and enjoy shooting groups. So, I buy a bunch of different brands and weights of pellets and shoot them over a chronograph. If you shoot a lot, a chronograph will save you some money with pellets over time. Like PumaCarl said, I read what others post and use that as a starting point.
 
I've been trying to find the right tune for the avenge x with a .177 barrel. My biggest problem seems to be deciding on what pellet or speed to test.

I hear all the time let the gun pick the pellet. I am curious how others approach this; do you pick a speed and then check different pellets for accuracy at that speed, or pick a pellet 1st and then try it at different speeds?
  1. Set reg moderate (not maxed, not minimum).
  2. Shoot 5‑shot groups at 50 yards at these average speeds:
    • 780
    • 810
    • 840
    • 870
    • 900
  3. Don’t worry about tiny ES; just mark which speed gives the roundest, least ‘stringy’ group.
  4. Once you find the best group, fine‑tune ±15 fps around that.” can you please tell us the weight of the pellet?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create FREE account

Create a FREE account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Trending in this forum

Back
Top