Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Blackwolf Finally Saw Evidence Of A Blackwolf In BR Competition

If you looked inside the barrel of either one of my reveres you would be surprised at the difference compared to a stock ghost barrel. The reveres shine from 1 end to the other where the ghost barrels are dull and blackish. Daystate used to care but apparently not anymore or perhaps just the lower power guns matter.
That is exaclty what I am talking about. My Red Wolf barrels are impeccable. I had a .25 Alpha Wolf barrel that I scoped and the machine marks and chips and finish were truly terrible. That particalur barrel couldn't do better than 6" groups @ 100 yards. I had a .177 HP Alpha Wolf barrel that couldn't stay on paper (8x10) at 100 yards.
 
That is exaclty what I am talking about. My Red Wolf barrels are impeccable. I had a .25 Alpha Wolf barrel that I scoped and the machine marks and chips and finish were truly terrible. That particalur barrel couldn't do better than 6" groups @ 100 yards. I had a .177 HP Alpha Wolf barrel that couldn't stay on paper (8x10) at 100 yards.
I had a 22 red wolf hp just before i got my first ghost that could barely keep 25 gr mrds on a 8.5x11 paper @100 but shot slugs to 1.5” at 100 ?
 
I have found it was worth the money to have someone polish and lap and wax (clean up) the off the shelf barrels BEFORE i start tuning a gun. With this done the 3 BW's i have played with all shot very nicely.
 
I have found it was worth the money to have someone polish and lap and wax (clean up) the off the shelf barrels BEFORE i start tuning a gun. With this done the 3 BW's i have played with all shot very nicely.
But should you have to pay extra to have 1 of the most expensive airguns on the market worked on so it shoots properly?
 
Last edited:
The ghost isn’t 1 of the most expensive airguns on the market and i believe the factory could correct that problem too!

You're okay with polishing the Lothar barrels in a $2400-$3500 Ghost but not in a $2900-3900 Blackwolf?
(Yes, I just looked and that's the current price range for each, high and low of various configurations).

Same Lothar barrels.

With the money you've got in your three Ghosts and the nine barrels for them, you could have bought 3 Blackwolfs. Just saying.
 
I’m very curious just how barrels are ordered from LW? Are they given a spec and LW then quoted to that spec for the lot of barrels being purchased?

The reason I ask is that I keep reading of DS/BRK LW barrels being a “lottery”, and accuracy not up to expectations without a lot of elbow grease from the owner. However, the LW barrels that are provided as an option on Skout Airguns all seem to be top notch with only a simple cleaning prior to use. Plus, they are significantly less expensive.

I have the .22 cal 28 inch LW polygonal 1:15.75 twist barrel that shoots both pellets and slugs equally well. By “well”, I mean competition ready.
And it’s not just mine, since three other Team members have one, and their experience is the same as mine.

So what’s the difference here? Why are they good in one but “iffy” in another? Same barrel manufacturer. Same polygonal profile rifling.
Things that make you go hmmm…
 
I’m very curious just how barrels are ordered from LW? Are they given a spec and LW then quoted to that spec for the lot of barrels being purchased?

The reason I ask is that I keep reading of DS/BRK LW barrels being a “lottery”, and accuracy not up to expectations without a lot of elbow grease from the owner. However, the LW barrels that are provided as an option on Skout Airguns all seem to be top notch with only a simple cleaning prior to use. Plus, they are significantly less expensive.

I have the .22 cal 28 inch LW polygonal 1:15.75 twist barrel that shoots both pellets and slugs equally well. By “well”, I mean competition ready.
And it’s not just mine, since three other Team members have one, and their experience is the same as mine.

So what’s the difference here? Why are they good in one but “iffy” in another? Same barrel manufacturer. Same polygonal profile rifling.
Things that make you go hmmm…

Same handful of people parroting the complaint over an over and over again.

After all the recent discussion , I asked for some concrete numbers of guys with dud BW barrels last week or so and 🦗 s.

The loudest complainers don't own BWs.
 
Tell me they don’t have the tools and knowledge to be able to polish a ghost or blackwolf barrel as well as they do to a revere that cost $1500. Now tell me why i shouldn’t expect the same quality of workmanship in a more expensive gun?
N's of one (your case with a Revere) and N's of zero (your case with a Blackwolf) don't hold any sort of statistical value, or any other value either, for that matter.
 
Last edited:
I’m very curious just how barrels are ordered from LW? Are they given a spec and LW then quoted to that spec for the lot of barrels being purchased?

The reason I ask is that I keep reading of DS/BRK LW barrels being a “lottery”, and accuracy not up to expectations without a lot of elbow grease from the owner. However, the LW barrels that are provided as an option on Skout Airguns all seem to be top notch with only a simple cleaning prior to use. Plus, they are significantly less expensive.

I have the .22 cal 28 inch LW polygonal 1:15.75 twist barrel that shoots both pellets and slugs equally well. By “well”, I mean competition ready.
And it’s not just mine, since three other Team members have one, and their experience is the same as mine.

So what’s the difference here? Why are they good in one but “iffy” in another? Same barrel manufacturer. Same polygonal profile rifling.
Things that make you go hmmm…
I am trying to decide on a dedicated bench gun in .30. I really wanted the Blackwolf. But, now I’m considering the Skout EVO. One of the reasons is because of what you just stated. The Skout LW barrels are drastically cheaper than what a barrel for my Ghost or a BW would cost. I don’t have any firsthand experience with the Skout, but everything that I’ve read or watched indicates the barrels are nicely finished. I’m also intrigued by the Skout carbon fiber hybrid bull barrel. The carbon fiber barrels are very popular in firearms.
 
Same handful of people parroting the complaint over an over and over again.

After all the recent discussion , I asked for some concrete numbers of guys with dud BW barrels last week or so and 🦗 s.

The loudest complainers don't own BWs.
The 23 inch .30 LW poly barrel than came with my BW was as good as the SubMOA that I got later. Both very good.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create FREE account

Create a FREE account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Trending in this forum

Back
Top