Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Bye bye .22

TBH, I only enter on my .02 to these topics for one reason, and thats because lots of people enter airguns reading these forums. They might have an affordable pellet shooter they were going to get to dispatch some pests or go hunting and then get unsure reading all our inputs if they have enough "gun" to be ethical. Before I got into pcps, I was an avid springer guy with the cream of the crop tuned German and English brands. Have shot many a critter with 10 ft lb springers, head shots at short ranges.

If you want them DRT, CNS shots are your answer every time(head, neck, upper shoulder) there is no such thing as "overkill" , by all means go bigger and more power if you want. Just know, that if you shoot a squirrel in the body no matter if its high power airgun or powder burner, they will run away and die. The more you aim for that upper third of any animal, the more DRTs you will have. Accuracy of rifle and placement of your shot will always trump more power for "margin of error" no matter what critter your shooting.
 
TBH, I only enter on my .02 to these topics for one reason, and thats because lots of people enter airguns reading these forums. They might have an affordable pellet shooter they were going to get to dispatch some pests or go hunting and then get unsure reading all our inputs if they have enough "gun" to be ethical. Before I got into pcps, I was an avid springer guy with the cream of the crop tuned German and English brands. Have shot many a critter with 10 ft lb springers, head shots at short ranges.

If you want them DRT, CNS shots are your answer every time(head, neck, upper shoulder) there is no such thing as "overkill" , by all means go bigger and more power if you want. Just know, that if you shoot a squirrel in the body no matter if its high power airgun or powder burner, they will run away and die. The more you aim for that upper third of any animal, the more DRTs you will have. Accuracy of rifle and placement of your shot will always trump more power for "margin of error" no matter what critter your shooting.
100%. No question about it.
 
In America we are blessed in that we can be obssessed with more power and can legally use such. The Brits get a heck of a lot done with their sub 12 FPE airguns. Most of them in .177, so I really don’t buy into it being a caliber thing. I was looking at the Chairgun numbers for my Atomic XR with CPHPs, at the muzzle 16.7 fpe, at 25 yards 12 fpe, at 50 yards 8.6 fpe. All you need at the proper POI, meaning in the CNS of small critters is about 4 fpe, and they are done. There is no magical caliber that is going to make anyone a better hunter or pester. At best you increase your margin of error on your prey. You have to place the shot where it counts most. And yes, its understood that not all shots go where intended… But that is not a valid reason to simply discount a proven caliber. The .22 is here to stay and will be here beyond us all. Thousands of critters would testify if they could…🙏
 
Feel? The Brits humanely dispatch a plethora of small critters… Shot placement trumps caliber… Many, many videos to prove the efficacy of shot placement…🙏
What about the ones that they don’t video? I know I can hit stuff accurately I don’t buy .177 or .22 is enough for more than mice from personal experience 🤷‍♂️
 
Man! I feel like they have a ton of wounded animals in the UK with .177
I shot 5 birds one night, a week or so ago with my .177 TX. Dropped 4 of the 5 on the spot. The other did fly off and probably died somewhere within the hour, shot in the back, shoulda waited for a better shot placement or passed on it, (the .22 woulda dumped it) Day ot two later I head shot a rabbit at a healthy 38Y away, DRT. I prefer my mag fed .22 pcps for pesting ill admit, but the TX (13fpe) has proved itself inside 40Y. I imagine you would stick to all .25 then Mike? I think next year I may need to get my feet wet with the "King of the small calibers"... I like options! 😍
 
I shot 5 birds one night, a week or so ago with my .177 TX. Dropped 4 of the 5 on the spot. The other did fly off and probably died somewhere within the hour, shot in the back, shoulda waited for a better shot placement or passed on it, (the .22 woulda dumped it) Day ot two later I head shot a rabbit at a healthy 38Y away, DRT. I prefer my mag fed .22 pcps for pesting ill admit, but the TX (13fpe) has proved itself inside 40Y. I imagine you would stick to all .25 then Mike? I think next year I may need to get my feet wet with the "King of the small calibers"... I like options! 😍
The .25 seems like a good balance of flat shooting and dead on site.
 
What about the ones that they don’t video? I know I can hit stuff accurately I don’t buy .177 or .22 is enough for more than mice from personal experience 🤷‍♂️
What about those, bad shots are made with “all” calibers…. Mike if you are having trouble dispatching mice with a .177 or .22 you may consider its you and not the gun or caliber… Call in an air strike and be done…🙈

The .25 seems like a good balance of flat shooting and dead on site.
I anticipate one of your future post will be how you are moving up to the .30 because the .25 isn’t getting it done…🙄
 
The .25 seems like a good balance of flat shooting and dead on site.
I see your dilemma....my pesting involves animals that live in trees...or the air. If my first shot didn't do it....I'm usually presented with a quick follow up. Ground squirrels not so much?
Anchoring is required so they dont scurry back to their holes...I say 33gr .25 pellets, high 800fps, shoulder/neck/head shots. That should definitely do it. If not, it's you😅
 
What about the ones that they don’t video? I know I can hit stuff accurately I don’t buy .177 or .22 is enough for more than mice from personal experience 🤷‍♂️
Lol that is an odd thing to say, and simply inaccurate. That may be your feelings on the matter but that is far from fact. Reminds me of when guys hit an elk with a 300 win mag and lose it, then come back next season with a 338 ultra mag because the 300 wasn't "powerful enough" to kill. Bad hits happen on all animals with all sorts of size projectiles, key word BAD hit. No quarry walks away from well placed shots with the right projectile.
 
lol my old .223 would anchor them best but .25 is my next best option in air
Never understood the term “anchored” because it connotes a second shot is necessary. For me? I always strive for a DRT shot. Though I am prepared for a quick follow up. In theory the first shot is the only shot needed. In practice, not so much… That said all shots at prey should be with deadly intent, zero “anchoring” in mind. Mike shoot your .25s and be happy. Post up your results on them squirrels… Give them hell…
 
No guarantees in hunting, I've had ground squirrels run down the hole with literally no head. Personally I absolutely love .177 and .22 for ground squirrels, I typically try getting within 30/40 yards for best results. On some of the properties getting in that close really isn't an option so I step up to .30 for those longer pokes beyond 100 yards. After years of killing hords of ground squirrels I've learned that my comfort level is important... having some good shade, a stable shooting position and a ton of patience.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create FREE account

Create a FREE account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Trending in this forum

Back
Top