Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Average Distance of your shooting sessions

Threads like this always get me to wondering as to why some buy “airguns” to try to consistently and practically shoot at 100 yards. Unless you’re putting in lots of time and effort and equipment prep. Or are a competitive shooter with great equipment? Your on a wild goose chase…

Not saying that some guns and shooters aren’t capable of sending consistently good groups at that distance. It just not the norm for the majority. I can shoot out to 100 yards in my backyard and spent a lot of time trying to to achieve good groups for the N.U.A.H. Club challenge at GTA. It took weeks of sending to finally get the right conditions for me to achieve Master status… But to what end for me personally? After that endeavor I deemed that for myself? I was done trying to chase MOA at 100 yards with my PCPs… I’ve killed pigeons out to 100+ yards. But found through experience that I prefer to shoot and pest out to 60-70 yards…

99% of my shooting is from 25-64 yards, at those distances the hits on objects the size of a chipper’s head are consistent. Out to 100 yards and beyond? Even mildly windy conditions introduce lots of variation in the flight of pellets… And yes, I’ve read about the slug hoopla. But the majority got into airguns for their short range practicality sending pellets. Simply finding it amusing (in a good way) the fact that some enter this hobby searching for 50-100+ FPE PCPs to shoot at 100+ yards…
I do own my own shooting range (200 plus yards) and own a 308 Texan and Big 9 side lever. I have an 8 in target at 200 yards and hit it consistently . I am just a hunter but, i also have a military background that I feel helps my skill level.
 
In the last year 16.5 yards (bird feeder from my office) 10m and occasionally out to 25 yards.
I’d like to get back into the 30y challenge.

I plan on more 25y testing now that the notos and atomic are being compared.

I think people overlook the value of 10m shooting and how it can improve fundamentals.
I pattern at 3 yards when testing a new sight design or cheap air guns. I look for hole in hole capability and what it takes to achieve this goal, or if it is even capable of this goal. I test for the worse results and determine if it is worth putting a good sight on the low-cost equipment that is presently on the market. If you can improve quality output from low-cost equipment, that is the potential for new opportunities. When you purchase the best equipment, you expect it to be the best with no surprises. I'm pleasantly surprised when a low-cost unit preforms better than expected. Marketing has shown that there have been more VW beetles sold than Ghosts. I'm talking cars here guys, not air guns. :)

"I think people overlook the value of 10m shooting and how it can improve fundamentals." I 100% agree with this statement. I seldom test beyond 13 yards at the indoor range. Even then I figure that I am the weakest link in the test. My "cone of precision" (MOA) stays within +/- 1/8" and that is sufficient for my needs. I have learned a lot from all member's posts and could not duplicate the results from all the testing done by all the qualified shooters here. Nice job, guys! 👍
 
mostly 30 to 60 ish I have back stops at 20, 30, 50, 65. and 100. I can get out to maybe 120 but havnt.
I like the 30 and 50 I will pop a pest at 60 pluss once in a while
I do like shooting 100 yards but I havnt had time to spend on it lately
I benchrest off a picnic table and have backstops made from railroad ties at 30, 60, and 90 yards. It has to be totally calm with no wind to shoot consistently at the 90 yard target which is a 3" shoot-n-see target on a homemade reactive background paper which is 2' square so I can see where each shot lands. I am guessing that the ft./lb energy at 90 yards is 1/2 or so less than at the muzzle. I have shot an invasive dove at 120 yards but that is rare.
 
Threads like this always get me to wondering as to why some buy “airguns” to try to consistently and practically shoot at 100 yards. Unless you’re putting in lots of time and effort and equipment prep. Or are a competitive shooter with great equipment? Your on a wild goose chase…

Not saying that some guns and shooters aren’t capable of sending consistently good groups at that distance. It just not the norm for the majority. I can shoot out to 100 yards in my backyard and spent a lot of time trying to to achieve good groups for the N.U.A.H. Club challenge at GTA. It took weeks of sending to finally get the right conditions for me to achieve Master status… But to what end for me personally? After that endeavor I deemed that for myself? I was done trying to chase MOA at 100 yards with my PCPs… I’ve killed pigeons out to 100+ yards. But found through experience that I prefer to shoot and pest out to 60-70 yards…

99% of my shooting is from 25-64 yards, at those distances the hits on objects the size of a chipper’s head are consistent. Out to 100 yards and beyond? Even mildly windy conditions introduce lots of variation in the flight of pellets… And yes, I’ve read about the slug hoopla. But the majority got into airguns for their short range practicality sending pellets. Simply finding it amusing (in a good way) the fact that some enter this hobby searching for 50-100+ FPE PCPs to shoot at 100+ yards…
I have two PCPs with over 300 FPE suitable for the game I hunt. When I'm not hunting, I'm at my range, striking steel targets from 65 to 230 yards. My record is 400 yards, and I aim to surpass that distance next summer. There's a unique satisfaction in hitting steel with a big bore PCP. LOL
 
Threads like this always get me to wondering as to why some buy “airguns” to try to consistently and practically shoot at 100 yards. Unless you’re putting in lots of time and effort and equipment prep. Or are a competitive shooter with great equipment? Your on a wild goose chase…

Not saying that some guns and shooters aren’t capable of sending consistently good groups at that distance. It just not the norm for the majority. I can shoot out to 100 yards in my backyard and spent a lot of time trying to to achieve good groups for the N.U.A.H. Club challenge at GTA. It took weeks of sending to finally get the right conditions for me to achieve Master status… But to what end for me personally? After that endeavor I deemed that for myself? I was done trying to chase MOA at 100 yards with my PCPs… I’ve killed pigeons out to 100+ yards. But found through experience that I prefer to shoot and pest out to 60-70 yards…

99% of my shooting is from 25-64 yards, at those distances the hits on objects the size of a chipper’s head are consistent. Out to 100 yards and beyond? Even mildly windy conditions introduce lots of variation in the flight of pellets… And yes, I’ve read about the slug hoopla. But the majority got into airguns for their short range practicality sending pellets. Simply finding it amusing (in a good way) the fact that some enter this hobby searching for 50-100+ FPE PCPs to shoot at 100+ yards…
I can see your point when shooting small bore but, i do see many shoot birds 50-100 plus yards. when shooting mid bore it's a whole different world. I have shot woodchucks out to 144 yards and with my new setup with .308 Texan want to push it out to 200 yards. Before the new setup, it was a 0 MOA pcp at 100 yards and I'm just a hunter that dose practice my skills. I also find it just as amusing not to push the envelope no matter what you shoot but, when it comes to critter you have to retain enough fpe to humanly take out game. You should challenge yourself on distance. This is just how I enjoy my pcps.
 

Attachments

  • 20241030_165456_exported_6399~5.webp
    20241030_165456_exported_6399~5.webp
    109.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20241030_165456_exported_6800.webp
    20241030_165456_exported_6800.webp
    112.9 KB · Views: 4

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create FREE account

Create a FREE account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Trending in this forum

Back
Top