Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

.30 For Florida Whitetail? What’s Your Min Caliber?

I will start by saying that I have not hunted deer with an airgun yet, but I studied dozens of videos of people shooting deer and hogs with airguns before I made my choice. I agree that 150 FPE should be minimum, but I am a firm believer that the bigger the hole is the faster they go down. I chose a 457 and I loved it. My son moved and because of that and health reasons I did not go hunting with it. Since then, I have sold it and turned to arrow shooters, one because they are just plain fun to shoot and two because they can take anything, no question about it. I have also learned that I would rather keep the pressure no more than about 3000-3600 in my guns. I believe I get less leaks that way and that's one of the reasons I like Airforce guns. As for shooting the arrows they can be hard to pull out of the target. One thing that can help is using a frame that lets the target swing to absorb some of the impact, but the best thing is to have a great target like a SpyderWeb 18XL archery target. I can pull out my arrows with just two fingers with that target. I have also put together a 2 pully drag system to help me drag a deer out of the woods if I do decide to go out on my own but it's really hard here on public land without a tree stand and for me that's just not going to happen anymore.
 
If you are still wondering, check out my reply to Ezana4CE's "Who is Deer Hunting with an Airgun This Season?" thread.

From my experience and testing, a .30 caliber 80FPE+ will get the job done out to 50-60 yds with a perfect headshot only (with higher FPE, I'm sure a well placed vitals shot will also do) BUT I caution you on taking head shots... please take the time to heavily consider the possible outcomes. My YT video from yrs ago may help explain a few things:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2026-02-12 at 4.59.52 AM.webp
    Screen Shot 2026-02-12 at 4.59.52 AM.webp
    57.8 KB · Views: 3
If you are going to take big game hunting with airguns serious, consider a HP .45 caliber as they hit with authority. I like the Western Rattler .45 Std. Check out how far that 360 solid slug traveled through the deer at 50 yds:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

slug recovery
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create FREE account

Create a FREE account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Trending in this forum

Back
Top