Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

.22 Really Mad At Myself And Progress(?)

Last edited:
I dabble with slugs (.22 only) and they work well out of my S510 to 50Y. Minute of starling most of the time, but cant touch the ol 18.13 pellets. Didn't want to jam up the other slug vs pellets at competitions thread @Pumacarl but you were right about the Jsb K0 Mk3 we have only tried the originals (Mk1??) in 4.51 outta my brothers Diana Magnum springer @ 920ish fps, and I have tried the 25gr KO slugs in 2 guns, not good expansion. What surprises me is Jsb has these light high-expanding 10gr sluggies, but have not updated the .22 line up yet? You would think .22 is the caliber to showcase for slugs? Absolutely terrible performance vs everything else i tested for expansion. What is true for me & Airgunning may change completely 365days from now.....read some of my first posts on Ham and there's already been some change.
One of the reasons I dont stockpile more than a few 1000rounds per gun. The Jsb slug is the second from right in first pic.
Danman, I think that your problems with slug expansion are all about speed. I know that the FX hybrids in .30 were not doing it for me until I upped their speed to 920fps and that 30 extra fps I put on them seemed to make a difference. For the .22 I stayed 23gr or less because my gun only does about 45fpe and can't push heavier slugs fast enough. If you didn't try the .22 JSB KO .216 20.83gr, then those might have surprised you too. I think that they have too much expansion for anything bigger than a squirrel, that's why I still shoot the ZAN 23gr, they penetrate more and are a very little bit more stable over 150y than the KO's.

I only stockpile once I know that I have a winner, and didn't do it fast enough this time. Lesson learned.
 
What type of base do the ZAN .22s have?
The ZAN's base looks a lot like the JSB KO base but a little thicker and shorter. I'd actually call it recessed. I just found out my scale stopped working so I couldn't check if there was any weight difference. The new version looks to be very similar but the slug is a little bit darker in color, it doesn't have the oxidized grey look of the originals.
 
Danman, I think that your problems with slug expansion are all about speed. I know that the FX hybrids in .30 were not doing it for me until I upped their speed to 920fps and that 30 extra fps I put on them seemed to make a difference. For the .22 I stayed 23gr or less because my gun only does about 45fpe and can't push heavier slugs fast enough. If you didn't try the .22 JSB KO .216 20.83gr, then those might have surprised you too. I think that they have too much expansion for anything bigger than a squirrel, that's why I still shoot the ZAN 23gr, they penetrate more and are a very little bit more stable over 150y than the KO's.

I only stockpile once I know that I have a winner, and didn't do it fast enough this time. Lesson learned.
Yeah i stockpiled the Mrd deeps a bit as my Ghost shoots em lights out, and that is literally about the only thing it will. I've never seen the 20.83slugs for sale either TBH? Slugs in the pics were all shot outta the Ghost, was expansion testing only as it can't touch paper @ 100y with em. Mrds are 975fps so these 23gr slugs would be going 950+...speed not the issue here, the slugs that didn't expand are failures in my books, passing grade goes to the Zans, Patriots, and Hybrids. Now my S510 will shoot slugs well (20-23gr) but its 34fpe maxed out so....there is my slug curse....and I did it 100% to myself as I knew the 👻 couldn't shoot slugs with the slow twist barrel when i bought it😂
Shot a squirrel with a 21gr Patriot last week....it was MESSSYYY. Entrance hole was massive and inards became outers.....S510 but only 10Y away....I was testing the slugs and he showed up on the fence behind me so he ended up as exhibit "B"
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create FREE account

Create a FREE account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Trending in this forum

Back
Top