Madeintheuk
HAM Sniper
Respectfully, it seems your opinion of easy to work on, actually means CHEAP and easy to work on, so if anything is damaged, it’s cheaply repaired. The Evol IS easy to work on, even for the beginner. But yes, it’s not cheap to fix.@CTAirgunner I think I understand what you’re communicating, but consider this. There are guys from the PB world getting their feet wet. Others who’ve recently retired and want to have nice toys to occupy some of their time. Then there are guys who want to try everything and haven’t taken much time to learn much of anything about many, if any, of their guns. I’ve seen quite a few newbs come in the airgun community and they desire top-shelf gear. Some have the money for it and find themselves falling down the PCP rabbit hole. Some will FUBAR these guns and sell them to recoup funds. A certain percentage won’t tell you that that gun’s guts are in shambles before or after selling it.
I’m saying that the Evol is not an easy gun to start trying to work on or learn. To me a Benjamin Bulldog is easy to disassemble and perform maintenance on. A few allen wrenches and needle nose pliers to disassemble and reassemble it. A few other guns I have were very easy to learn how to get into. If something got messed up, they weren’t too expensive to repair or get replacement parts for. If you know airguns, I’d imagine that the majority of airguns you get your hands on and have a diagram or schematic for would be relatively easy to work on. I think that’s a small to moderate contingent of the market. If manufacturers are going to increase profits they need their market(s) to grow. I’ve never seen any hard stats on this, but many people come to the forums with questions because they need assistance with their guns or advice in what to buy for a first gun or specific purpose. More forum members (especially new ones) seem to have questions than solutions. The valuable solutions consistently tend to come from a somewhat small circle of respected individuals within our community. For them, a lot of this is easy. It’s really an objective stance. I’m trying to paint a realistic picture for a consumer who isn’t an airgun smith, machinist, or some sort of mechanical tradesman. I believe that once one learns a gun, yes, the process of assembly and reassembly gets easier, but I don’t think that about repairing and tuning.
We obviously have differing opinions on various elements of this conversation and all don’t need to be revisited. I’m ok with that.
the evol is easier than a bulldog to repair (with exception to the regulator) but much more expensive.