Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Panthera I Jumped In!

Well for me shooting 100yd benchrest and ft both need pellets at this time so i really don’t need the slugs to complicate my wind holds. If i had somplace to shoot really long it would be a different story. I might have a drs pro then
Exactly! I've got about 400y to play with, so it changes my options up, and it's fun. I never imagined it would be possible to do either.
 
Well now that @Pumacarl has “jumped in” we need him to start creating some FX maintenance videos. I’m already a little bit Leary of watching any more Official FX videos that instruct you how to perform a procedure, that explicitly voids your warranty. No, that’s not a joke, it’s a fact lol.
I would just like them to do their videos "on camera" and not hear about how they already loosened this or that off camera. That's why I watch, to see how they did it.
 
I completely gased down the gun today with the intention of doing the vinyl wrap. I have to use a heat gun to put it on, so I didn't want to create extra heat pressure. I didnt, and don't, really want to remove the plenum tube unless I have to. I can just imagine how much loctite there is on that. I figured to leave that on, take off the shroud and do it as two pieces and use knifeless tape where all the seams are, so I could still disassemble the gun afterwards. The problem was that the knifeless tape (KT) wasn't going to work so easily because the joints are so tight on the barrel system. I tried putting a piece on anyway and between the room I had to work, and the flex I was getting off of my tripod, I was really butterfingering it up. I had the gun mounted belly up in my tripod by the optics rail and it takes a lot of tweaking and pulling and applying heat to the vinyl to work it and a tripod mount won't work for that, so I scrapped the attempt for now. When I eventually do take the plenum tube off, for whatever reason, then I will vinyl it.

Since the gun was out of the chassis and the shroud off, I decided to remove the liner and clean it. It was not bad at all, I don't think I'm going to have to clean this barrel much at all. A huge win! I've decided to use the new yellow Zan ELR slugs for over 200y anyway so that I don't have to buy a super scope to see my shots, and they clean the barrel too. So, except for the occasional re-seal job, this gun should be prettty low maintenance.
Putting the gun back together I learned to take my foster fitting cap off before putting a charged bottle back onto a completely aired down gun. Until the pressure builds against the foster fitting some air escapes it. Enough air that it shot the cap off into my ceiling. I've never aired up an airgun that way before, lesson learned. Unlike yesterday, today the gun did not hold zero. I'm sure it was because I removed the liner and obviously didn't put it back to the same clock spot. It only took one shot to re-zero anyway, the scope tracks perfectly. We've got some warm weather coming this week. I hope to shoot some groups on paper if the winds lay down for a moment.
 
When you pull the liner, you need to degas right as the air seals around it? Or is the liner in a tube itself? Sorry hard to keep track of this stuff lol

I did a vinyl wrap on a shotgun years ago and it turned put ok. Not as easy as I thought it would be. I have some kits for a scope or 2 but never even attempted those lol
 
When you pull the liner, you need to degas right as the air seals around it? Or is the liner in a tube itself? Sorry hard to keep track of this stuff lol

I did a vinyl wrap on a shotgun years ago and it turned put ok. Not as easy as I thought it would be. I have some kits for a scope or 2 but never even attempted those lol
You can take the shroud end off with the gun under pressure and remove the barrel liner and clean it. Easier than risking the breach oring, or getting crap in the transfer port, and, you can use a bore brush. Here's a video on it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
 
I really don't think that they should call the barrel liner holder "the barrel" it shoots nothing, it's sole purpose is to hold the barrel liner, and in this case, plenum pressure and give rigidity. It's a system, and each piece by itself is worthless. All the parts together form the barrel, the parts themselves should just be referred to as the holder and the liner to me.
 
You’re the perfect person to answer my liner questions. I’ve read differing thoughts on how straightforward swapping the liners is. Is it relatively easy or not? Is this another thread locker issue? Is it straightforward enough that swapping between a pellet liner and a slug liner once in a while is worth the effort. Or is it so much of a pain to bother swapping back and forth? Are the appropriate liner and carbon tube the only items required? I appreciate your thoughts and time. 😁
 
You’re the perfect person to answer my liner questions. I’ve read differing thoughts on how straightforward swapping the liners is. Is it relatively easy or not? Is this another thread locker issue? Is it straightforward enough that swapping between a pellet liner and a slug liner once in a while is worth the effort. Or is it so much of a pain to bother swapping back and forth? Are the appropriate liner and carbon tube the only items required? I appreciate your thoughts and time. 😁
The only big downfall i would see is barrel indexing as if not returned to the exact placement with the same tension on the nut point of impact will change as he discovered
 
You can take the shroud end off with the gun under pressure and remove the barrel liner and clean it. Easier than risking the breach oring, or getting crap in the transfer port, and, you can use a bore brush. Here's a video on it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
That makes alot more sense. And I agree thats not the barrel you can't pull. The barrel is the liner, the other part is the holder of the barrel.
 
That wouldn’t be a huge factor. I’d only be swapping once in a while and even then only if there was a big accuracy advantage in doing so.
After thinking a bit the o rings on the liner if they are still using them might be a pain if you could go to or if they are using a carbon sleeve that would probably be better if u plan on changing often. Sleeve is cheap
 
You’re the perfect person to answer my liner questions. I’ve read differing thoughts on how straightforward swapping the liners is. Is it relatively easy or not? Is this another thread locker issue? Is it straightforward enough that swapping between a pellet liner and a slug liner once in a while is worth the effort. Or is it so much of a pain to bother swapping back and forth? Are the appropriate liner and carbon tube the only items required? I appreciate your thoughts and time.

Bill, the video I posted in post 91 is the actual deal. It is that easy. I won't be using the patchworm with this gun. That's why I have been saying that I think the liner system is pretty neat, it is! And the liners, at least this particular liner, is one of the most accurate barrels I've ever used and absolutely the least slug picky I've even heard of. Of course, you know and I know that there have been plenty of bad liner stories, but mine isn't one of them. Knock wood. Additionally, I don't know if the glued on carbon fiber liner is needed because I didn't shoot the gun until it was on, but like I've said, if this gun shot this well for the first owner then I can't imagine why he sold it, unless he just got out of everything.
 
The only big downfall i would see is barrel indexing as if not returned to the exact placement with the same tension on the nut point of impact will change as he discovered
I don't know, it shot in a different spot, but it shot the same, just a couple of scope clicks and hitting my 100y targets again. If I ever get bad groupings then I will run the whole clock and mark the liner, but just clicking a scope is no big deal to me if it's just that. I kind of expected that with liners actually.
 
Bill, the video I posted in post 91 is the actual deal. It is that easy. I won't be using the patchworm with this gun. That's why I have been saying that I think the liner system is pretty neat, it is! And the liners, at least this particular liner, is one of the most accurate barrels I've ever used and absolutely the least slug picky I've even heard of. Of course, you know and I know that there have been plenty of bad liner stories, but mine isn't one of them. Knock wood. Additionally, I don't know if the glued on carbon fiber liner is needed because I didn't shoot the gun until it was on, but like I've said, if this gun shot this well for the first owner then I can't imagine why he sold it, unless he just got out of everything.
I watched that video after my post. Looks easy enough. I bought the carbon tube, I’ll try with and without. Thanks
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create FREE account

Create a FREE account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Trending in this forum

Back
Top