Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Panthera I Jumped In!

What is a d1 crono?
It's the new FX D1 Chronograph that just came out. It's pretty cool, and you don't need to use your phone, and it has it's own screen. Tiny little bugger. Comes with nice little mounting accessories but I'm looking for a quick detach Arca Swiss option.

 
Last edited:
I have some numbers. They are about right for my settings, so mechanically I believe that everything is currently good to go. The regulator is set just a touch under 160b, I had the Macro pegged and the micro at 3, and the temp was 40. I started out using the new FX D1 Chronograph and it worked great, but after about twenty minutes outside it just stopped working. I had charged it up fully a couple of days ago but there could be parasitic draw so I plugged it back in and will try that again soon. I finished with a different unit. Here is what I was getting for speeds: Zan ELR 42.3 951fps, Air Marksman (AM) 42 958fps, AM 40.1 968fps, H&N 40 971fps, H&N 34 1010fps. Not bad. I could still go up on the reg, but these numbers seem reasonable for now. The reg needs to work some more. At first the numbers jumped around a little but after a while it did calm down and by the time I did the Zan there was no spread to speak of. So 85fpe for the heaviest and 77fpe for the lightest and no weird out of synch velocities between brands and weights, that's very good. For the power that it's putting out, it's not that loud either. I love the quality of the Saber Tactical chassis but I would change a couple of things on it. I wasn't too thrilled about having to take my scope off to take the gun out of the chassis. The piece with the level on it, should have the screws coming in from a 45 degree angle off to either side of the gun. Then the scope could stay mounted. Also, to take the big screw out, in front of the grip, you just have to remove the trigger guard, and I mean just. It's right there, and the previous owner already gouged it out, finding that out. I think that I will eventually just take a file to it. The damage is already done anyway, might as well make it useful damage. I don't like having to take the safety lever off either, but that seems to be trending these days on a lot of the new guns. Now that I'm happy that it is running properly I will start shooting for accuracy and check the Strelok numbers against what's actually happening at range. That's always been interesting to me.
 
I decided that I need better magazines than the stock ones so I started looking. I like the features of the Stud magazines but I don't know if they are worth twice the money of Orion's. I've left a question at Orion's website over why he offers a slug magazine that's deeper, when his reduced depth magazine can already handle any .22 slug made. The Zan ELR is the longest .22 slug that I have seen so far and it (@ 11.79mm) can fit into the reduced depth version, which can handle 11.9mm. So why did he feel the need to make a version that can do 13.3mm? Who's making .22 slugs that long? What's their weight and what barrel twist is needed to drive them? I got this gun so that I can get different liners to try out different stuff, so I'm curious to know his reasoning. Did anybody here need to get his 13.3mm magazines, in .22, for something that wouldn't fit in the reduced depth mags? I'm curious about this.
 
I decided that I need better magazines than the stock ones so I started looking. I like the features of the Stud magazines but I don't know if they are worth twice the money of Orion's. I've left a question at Orion's website over why he offers a slug magazine that's deeper, when his reduced depth magazine can already handle any .22 slug made. The Zan ELR is the longest .22 slug that I have seen so far and it (@ 11.79mm) can fit into the reduced depth version, which can handle 11.9mm. So why did he feel the need to make a version that can do 13.3mm? Who's making .22 slugs that long? What's their weight and what barrel twist is needed to drive them? I got this gun so that I can get different liners to try out different stuff, so I'm curious to know his reasoning. Did anybody here need to get his 13.3mm magazines, in .22, for something that wouldn't fit in the reduced depth mags? I'm curious about this.
Perhaps he’s expecting longer slugs? 22 cal is getting the most push for higher power and bc so if he starts now he's ahead of the game
 
I just heard from Orion, and he said that it was a whole product line decision, two depths, and per my reasoning I wouldn't actually need the deeper ones for what I'd be using. Good to know. I'm going with his magazines for this gun. He's always seemed like a really good guy, and has been at this for a while, and I watched his videos since he started, so time to support the home team. Bottom line, they are the best deal too, a double win.
 
Today I decided to change up how I am going to mount my FX D1 chrony to my gun. I ordered some outdoors velcro that uses interlocking nubs, not the hooks and loops stuff, and will put it on three sides of the D1 unit. That way, because you can change the screen orientation right, left, up, or flipped; I will be able to stick it anywhere that will keep it out of my way depending on where I am. I will have the same velcro on a quick detachable Arca Swiss plate, which again will be easy to mount right or left side, and just stick the unit on the correct way. This setup is much more rugged, faster to deploy, way less likely to break, and a ton more versatile than using the thin plastic provided connectors. I never try to shoot groups with a chrony connected to my barrel, but the barrel mount might prove useful on some of my other guns to just check speed so I will keep it handy but it won't get used much. Here is the mount I ordered:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GJP1FCF/ref=twister_B0GDLYGD1N?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

I was thinking about getting the 150mm over the 100mm, but I don't want things sticking out more than I absolutely need and I will be running the unit on it's side to help with that too.
 
I got the Arca Swiss mount and velcro today. I applied the velcro to the D1 and the mount. It works well, we'll see how it holds up.

Velcro all around, it mounts left or right side, horizontal or vertical, how ever you want to stick it on. Very easy and versatile.
d1mount.webp

And on the gun:
d1hongun.webp

It is a little easier to mount it on it's side, on the left side, because then the buttons are on top, but it is really easy to just pull off too.
 
It is a little too windy(and cold) to get any any real baselines today but I did get a few things sorted out. The first thing that I did was to calculate my near zero and sight in the scope. A real gnat killer at 19y!

I also was having problems with getting my D1 chronograph to read, on it's side. I flipped it to horizontal and it didn't miss a shot. I'm thinking that with how the gun is made with the chassis sticking out on the side to encompass the bottle and having the sensor snuggled in too close with my setup, it just won't read that way. Going to horizontal gives it just enough distance away from the rail to pick up the slug. It works now, anyway.

At this point it was time to adjust my scope so that the optical center was going to be around the 200y mark. I ran the scope through it's whole range, which was 106.5moa, and checked the Strelok numbers that I'd need to make shots out to 300y. I decided on the reticle being 34 moa up from the bottom, on my 19/53y zero. I brought the gun in and mounted my laser and matched the laser dot to where my reticle was, aiming at a far wall. This is where my zero is and now I can adjust the scope anyway that I want and then match the reticle to the dot on the wall and my gun is zeroed again. I turned the elevation turret all the way down and came back up 34 moa. Then I loosened the screws on my FX adjustable rings and lifted the scope body so that the retical was centered right on my laser's dot and tightened the scope down. Here comes the great part; all of this except for actually sighting in at 19y was theory, just math coming out of Strelok. I had yet to shoot at anything over 19y yet. If the laser work was right, Strelok was right, and my chronograph numbers were right, then my first zero was 19y and my second 53y, and my target out my door at 101y would need 7 moa up for my 40gr H&N @970fps to hit. First shot fired at 101y on a 2" circle reaction target, in a light wind, dead nuts! I have saved so much ammo using the laser for scope swapping, or working on my gun, that it's paid for itself many times over, and I really only care about all the time it saves from not having to re-zero from scratch. So the scope is all set to start shooting for accuracy with the different slugs. I didn't bother with the zero stop, and won't, until I pick a primary slug.

I am going to adjust the trigger a little bit, at 100y+ it needs to be lighter, especially when shooting from a tripod.
 
Last edited:
Took a moment to shoot at 222y today. Very interesting. It's definately crossed back over from very frustrating into very interesting territory. I had setup some old paint cans and just thought to plink them instead of just throwing them out. I have never shot at paint cans before. I always thought that it was really juvenile, and it is, but damn if it isn't fun!

When I started shooting I had forgotten to put on the IA1350 and was thinking that the gun was just a little bit loud before I realized the omission. After that, I was thinking, WOW!, this gun is really quiet. I did put on the moderator though, and it was very quiet then. If you live where you can't use a moderator though, this is airgun you want to be shooting 85fpe with, if they even allow the shroud. Considering the barrel makes it almost right to the end and there are no baffles, it works way better than I would have thought it could.

The Huma regulator has completely settled also, I mean, it can't get any better. I shot 12 shots in a row, all 975fps! I have come close to zero spreads before but never made it through a whole magazine perfect. Speaking of magazines, my Orion magazines are nice, but the little 12 rounder fits tighter than the big one and I had to advance the rounds manually. I am just going to sand it down a little because the big one is flawless as is. It could have been because I was using the 42gr AM slugs which are on the long side. I did not run those in the large magazine. I'll have to try that first, and if it is a problem, order the deep ones. The design is superior to the factory mags, so easy and quick. I have plenty of room under my scope, so I am going to get another big one.

The big problem for me is the scope. I can't see the rounds flying. I am going to need, not just good glass, but power. There is no way around it. I had thought that 20x with good glass would be enough, but it isn't.

The shooting itself, from my tripod and standing, was really fun and the different bc's really showed themselves in the light breeze that I was in. The AM slugs literally had half the drift of the H&N, though once figured for, both fun. Speaking of H&N, I really liked shooting the 33gr Precision slugs. I'm going to use those for general plinking. They're smoking at 1040fps, and out hit their 40gr slugs, and the price isn't bad either. I only shot the 42gr AM, 40gr H&N, and the 33gr Precision, all working off of the original zero I did at 19y with the 40gr H&N and shooting completely predictably. It's crazy how well this gun is hitting just goofing off. I need a better scope, or a spotter, to really dial in the true bc numbers and then this thing will be really scary. Until I have those things, I don't want to be shooting all my Zan ELR's or the AM 40.1gr (which I think will be better than the 42gr).

I did have a hiccup that taught me something today too. I need to get back to getting my cocking handle off and moving it to the left side. Shooting from my tripod, as I do, standing, and on the left side, I need to just keep my right hand on the grip. My left hand needs to run my tripod lever and do the loading, all things that I see from the left side, including my guages and the chronograph. What happened was, I had gone over and was fiddling around with something between shots and had cocked the gun back but I did not return the sidelever for some reason and I went and shot with the handle back. Not good. It was out of my line of sight and out of my mind for a moment, and I got reminded real quick. The lever is going left. I have been thinking for a while now, using my tripod, that left handed cocking was definately in my future, and here it is.
 
If its possible shoot with the sun closer to your back it seems to make easier to see your slugs in flight. As for calculating bc 2 cronos 1 at 100 and 1 at muzzle are best
Using two chronos is the best but isn't going to happen with me. With a well zero'd gun, I get a very accurate number just by shooting at a distance and matching the drop to what Strelok calculates. I keep changing the number until it matches what's actually happening and I recheck it a couple of times. It works! It ain't pretty, or slick, but it's pretty slick, lol.
 
I didnt realize everyone is buying FX now lol. Sounds like an awesome gun man! That Huma is doing really good!
I bought one because of the ease of barrel liner changes. The gun is a shooter, but I don't really like the design or the materials. It might work out for me, because I'm easy on it, but I'd still only recommend a 7075 gun like an AAA, to anyone looking to use their guns out in the world and not just a competition. Like everyone says though, when they are shooting well it is easy to overlook all the other stuff. This is absolutely the least ammo picky gun that I have ever shot. It seems to like everything. Traits like that, makes me scratch my chin and shrug my shoulders to the other stuff, for now.
 
I bought one because of the ease of barrel liner changes. The gun is a shooter, but I don't really like the design or the materials. It might work out for me, because I'm easy on it, but I'd still only recommend a 7075 gun like an AAA, to anyone looking to use their guns out in the world and not just a competition. Like everyone says though, when they are shooting well it is easy to overlook all the other stuff. This is absolutely the least ammo picky gun that I have ever shot. It seems to like everything. Traits like that, makes me scratch my chin and shrug my shoulders to the other stuff, for now.
I appreciate the honesty. I was afraid that was the case compared to other guns ive been used to in the past. No one can deny the guns shoot really good. Like you said though im concerned of the day to day shooting in real world conditions regarding POI. While the liners do shoot well i just dont like the "barrel" having more than 1 part Number lol. Too many parts to potentially move. Also worried with so many different adjustments to make one the guns, just more to move out of adjustment if something gets bumped or something. Lol yeah like said im the crazy one not liking change and want to go back to the simpler times. Why im looking at a RAW now. Point and shoot
 
I appreciate the honesty. I was afraid that was the case compared to other guns ive been used to in the past. No one can deny the guns shoot really good. Like you said though im concerned of the day to day shooting in real world conditions regarding POI. While the liners do shoot well i just dont like the "barrel" having more than 1 part Number lol. Too many parts to potentially move. Also worried with so many different adjustments to make one the guns, just more to move out of adjustment if something gets bumped or something. Lol yeah like said im the crazy one not liking change and want to go back to the simpler times. Why im looking at a RAW now. Point and shoot
I almost bought a RAW before I got the Paradigm. I wish they had better power numbers or I still would have bought one. Still might.
 
Small update. Still too windy to do real long range testing of anything but my inability to read the wind well. I did manage to move my sidelever to the left side today using a micro soldering iron that could fit in and reach the screws. I had to take the scope off again to do this but it did not lose zero, which is nice. I didn't bother breaking out my scope mounting laser so I was ready to have to re-zero because I wanted to work the lefty sidelever anyway. I think that I am going to be alright with this setup. I always shoot from the tripod anyway and the gun is lousy for offhand shooting, so lefty it stays. Just shooting at spinners at 100y I was humbled a little by the wind pushing my slugs around, half the drift helps but it's still plenty to miss tiny targets. My guns aside, the thing that I need to work on the most is shooting in the wind. The only airgun I have shot consistently in the wind for years is my Gauntlet and shooting slugs the past year at an increased speed and higher bc has screwed up all that practice. Beware the man with one gun indeed! I'm all over the place now, lol.
 
Small update. Still too windy to do real long range testing of anything but my inability to read the wind well. I did manage to move my sidelever to the left side today using a micro soldering iron that could fit in and reach the screws. I had to take the scope off again to do this but it did not lose zero, which is nice. I didn't bother breaking out my scope mounting laser so I was ready to have to re-zero because I wanted to work the lefty sidelever anyway. I think that I am going to be alright with this setup. I always shoot from the tripod anyway and the gun is lousy for offhand shooting, so lefty it stays. Just shooting at spinners at 100y I was humbled a little by the wind pushing my slugs around, half the drift helps but it's still plenty to miss tiny targets. My guns aside, the thing that I need to work on the most is shooting in the wind. The only airgun I have shot consistently in the wind for years is my Gauntlet and shooting slugs the past year at an increased speed and higher bc has screwed up all that practice. Beware the man with one gun indeed! I'm all over the place now, lol.
It amazes me how much the wind pushes even the high bc slugs which I don’t think meet advertised bc all the time and for the reasons you state about it screwing your pellet wind calls i agree. Im starting to think im going to stick to pellets until i move to arizona or someplace where i can use slugs on prairie dogs. As for hunting by me 75 yds on squirrels is pretty much a long shot
 
It amazes me how much the wind pushes even the high bc slugs which I don’t think meet advertised bc all the time and for the reasons you state about it screwing your pellet wind calls i agree. Im starting to think im going to stick to pellets until i move to arizona or someplace where i can use slugs on prairie dogs. As for hunting by me 75 yds on squirrels is pretty much a long shot
Well, if there is no wind 75y is actually nothing for these guns. Last year I shot a chipmunk, no guessing, at 125y with my 250z, easy peasy. And this gun, from what I've seen so far, could go much farther out. Of course, with zero wind, which doesn't happen often. I should add that this was from a tripod and I had been shooting at targets for a while when the chipmunk showed itself to be a target right next to my target. With no wind, across a hayfield, and a 20.83gr KO slug hitting a tiny chipmunk, sounds impossibly loud.

I am thinking quite the opposite from you on pellets and slugs. The pellets are twice the drift of slugs, yes the slugs still drift, but half as much as pellets, so what part of that adds up to saying the hell with slugs, I'm just sticking with pellets? Every little bit helps, I'm always going to go with what needs less correction from me, slugs just changed my learning curve, but in the right direction. I'm not going back. I'm adapting. I am amazed and happy for the progress made.
 
Well, if there is no wind 75y is actually nothing for these guns. Last year I shot a chipmunk, no guessing, at 125y with my 250z, easy peasy. And this gun, from what I've seen so far, could go much farther out. Of course, with zero wind, which doesn't happen often. I should add that this was from a tripod and I had been shooting at targets for a while when the chipmunk showed itself to be a target right next to my target. With no wind, across a hayfield, and a 20.83gr KO slug hitting a tiny chipmunk, sounds impossibly loud.

I am thinking quite the opposite from you on pellets and slugs. The pellets are twice the drift of slugs, yes the slugs still drift, but half as much as pellets, so what part of that adds up to saying the hell with slugs, I'm just sticking with pellets? Every little bit helps, I'm always going to go with what needs less correction from me, slugs just changed my learning curve, but in the right direction. I'm not going back. I'm adapting. I am amazed and happy for the progress made.
Well for me shooting 100yd benchrest and ft both need pellets at this time so i really don’t need the slugs to complicate my wind holds. If i had somplace to shoot really long it would be a different story. I might have a drs pro then
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create FREE account

Create a FREE account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Trending in this forum

Back
Top