Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Others Has this ever been done?

FL22

Grand HAMster
3,411
12,114
HAM Points
2,826.50
Airguns of Arizona - 10% discount
Airguns of Arizona - 10% discount
Airguns of Arizona - 10% discount
Airguns of Arizona - 10% discount
Airguns of Arizona - 10% discount
Country flag
I’m thinking of something for getting moisture down in compressed air that will work for anyone.

Maybe someone has already tried, I don’t know.

So using a compressor to fill a scuba tank, but having the desiccant beads inside the scuba tank.

I’m just not sure about the amount but enough that would last say three months, but not hurt the overall volume of the air tank.

Whole deal with those beads is that they need time to absorb moisture. So using a compressor to fill the tank and then letting the tank sit overnight or whatever would dry the air.

I don’t know is if the valve is reasonably easy to remove from the tank so you can add and change the beads.

I’m sure that a small inline filter would insure that no dust from the beads would find its way into your Airgun.

I also have an idea of how to verify moisture levels.

Placing a battery powered moisture meter in a semi transparent balloon (or other inflatable device with a large enough opening 😉🤣) filled from the tank.

Anyway, it’s been something that I have been thinking about just an idea. Perfectly okay to find inspiration or fault.
 
Think you’re better off trying to put the dryest air in the tank to begin with. Your beads holding moisture would most likely begin to corrode the tank.
Could that be mitigated by using an aluminum tank?

If my Internet search is correct that is the most commonly available scuba tank because of cost and that it doesn’t rust when used in saltwater.

They are generally rated for 3000 psi by the way.
 
Aluminum still will corrode over time but i can’t say anything with any certainty about your idea im just guessing ya know. And use in salt water would be different than moisture laying in the bottom of the tank for a period of time
I read that it is common for corrosion to occur in the steel tanks, they have to be “tumbled” in some type of medium to remove it.

This is just one of 100s of crazy ideas that I have.
Been told that I have a vivid imagination 😅.
 
I had asked this question over on AGN a few years back. SImilar responses about corrosion and stuff, but I thought it was a stellar idea to guarantee the driest of air.

I wonder if putting the desiccant inside a plastic pellet of some kind with a semipermeable membrane to suck in the water might work. It could be dropped down the tank and then dumped out later.
 
I might try and find a used aluminum tank in the coming months, try for a proof of concept type deal. If it works, get a larger compressor.

Oh and more Airguns to use all the surplus dry air and the cycle continues 😂.
 
I might try and find a used aluminum tank in the coming months, try for a proof of concept type deal. If it works, get a larger compressor.

Oh and more Airguns to use all the surplus dry air and the cycle continues 😂.
Remember too that a sscuba tank is probably more expensive than a carbon tank and only good for 3200 psi i believe. I have one if you want to buy a used 1
 
Remember too that a sscuba tank is probably more expensive than a carbon tank and only good for 3200 psi i believe. I have one if you want to buy a used 1
I appreciate the offer but living in Florida has some advantages 😉.

IMG_2641.webpIMG_2642.webpIMG_2643.webp

I suppose if corrosion becomes an issue, I could just take it to the scrap yard and find another used one 😁.
 
not sure but are you makeing a moister fitter?
or just something to in the tank for the purpose of absorbing the moister?
If I was going to remove the valve for the purpose of trying how about a container that you could put the desiccant in them drop in the tank that would keep the moister saturated desiccant from coming in contact with the tank and eluding to corrosion.
maybe a pic pipe with holes and a small sewed bang to hold the desiccant them dropped in the pic tube capped and draped in the tank?
just thinking out loud
 
if you can solder make up a stainless steel tube of fine stainless steel cloth and use that?
I make those up for gas filters all the time
 
not sure but are you makeing a moister fitter?
or just something to in the tank for the purpose of absorbing the moister?
If I was going to remove the valve for the purpose of trying how about a container that you could put the desiccant in them drop in the tank that would keep the moister saturated desiccant from coming in contact with the tank and eluding to corrosion.
maybe a pic pipe with holes and a small sewed bang to hold the desiccant them dropped in the pic tube capped and draped in the tank?
just thinking out loud
There is always been a big fuss over moisture, rightfully so.

Desiccant beads need time to reduce moisture, so if you’re using a home compressor to fill the tank and the beads were sitting in the tank, it could be easily achieved.

I will have to look back when I started doing it, but my post filter is aluminum and I have the desiccant beads directly in contact with it. I’ve already changed them once and I did not see any corrosion. 🤷‍♂️

That’s how the idea of it popped in my head was just thinking about it on a larger scale and a full tank that would give more time to work.
 
That’s how the idea of it popped in my head was just thinking about it on a larger scale and a full tank that would give more time to work.
I think that is why most of the filter designs are long & skinny cylinder shaped. Less volume, means less compressor time filling it up but also it 'forces' the air past more of these dessicant beads (more drying surface per air molecule) on the way to your gun/tank. Having it directly in the tank would be more hassle to check & replace but ultimately it should work better I'd think. Now if u fill a big tank and then go right to the range and play big bore all day, then it's not gonna be a whole lot better...
 
Lol doesn't make sense to me either? 😅
My question would be how much $$ is nitrogen? And is it fed nitrogen and air or just the nitrogen?
Nitrogen holds no moisture and is a stable gas ( pressure is constant no change in temp ) race cars use it in their tires. Your not mixing just feeding nitrogen into your compressor when the nitrogen bottle pressure is below 250 bar so you can fill your gun to max. Check this thread
 
I have only filled my guns with pure nitrogen since I got into PCP's about 5 years ago.
I regulate it down to the fill rate of the compressor ie 11lpm or 23cfh.
Because of this gas I have not had but one oring fail in the foster fitting of a beeman 2028
The reason NO oxidizers as nitrogen is totally inert, and you gun shoots slightly faster too !
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create FREE account

Create a FREE account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Trending in this forum

Back
Top