Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Source for Fragmenting/ Frangible slugs?

Tyrreld

New member
5
4
HAM Points
37.25
Hi everyone. I'm new here and to PCP airguns, so if this has been discussed elsewhere my apologies. I've been looking for a source of fragmenting 30 cal slugs to use on our farm for close-up shots (under 30 yards) of varmints. Of course, many are burrowing under buildings so I want minimal slug travel after hitting the target. Reading through the posts hasn't helped beyond the 2020 article by Tom Gavin about the Talons, but it seems they were a custom one-off and not available. Are the FX hybrid/ RMR slugs the closest option? Any information is much appreciated. Thanks.
 
Hi everyone. I'm new here and to PCP airguns, so if this has been discussed elsewhere my apologies. I've been looking for a source of fragmenting 30 cal slugs to use on our farm for close-up shots (under 30 yards) of varmints. Of course, many are burrowing under buildings so I want minimal slug travel after hitting the target. Reading through the posts hasn't helped beyond the 2020 article by Tom Gavin about the Talons, but it seems they were a custom one-off and not available. Are the FX hybrid/ RMR slugs the closest option? Any information is much appreciated. Thanks.
Hey Tyrreld, welcome to HAM fellow Canadian!, I would propose you just shoot "normal" hollow point slugs, or hunting pellets!? They will expand plenty and stop quickly, and surely will be cheaper than fancy slugs. I haven't seen any for sale myself up here.... I have experimented much on penetration into water jugs, sheet metal, car parts, wood, thick catalogs, spoiled fruit, you name it. In fact slugs are a terrible option for 30Yard and in pesting🤔....what gun (s) would you shoot said slugs out of? Took a coon last year with Barracuda Hunter Extremes from H&N. Plain and simply effective, and H.P. hunting pellets slow down pretty fast too.
 
Hey Tyrreld, welcome to HAM fellow Canadian!, I would propose you just shoot "normal" hollow point slugs, or hunting pellets!? They will expand plenty and stop quickly, and surely will be cheaper than fancy slugs. I haven't seen any for sale myself up here.... I have experimented much on penetration into water jugs, sheet metal, car parts, wood, thick catalogs, spoiled fruit, you name it. In fact slugs are a terrible option for 30Yard and in pesting🤔....what gun (s) would you shoot said slugs out of? Took a coon last year with Barracuda Hunter Extremes from H&N. Plain and simply effective, and H.P. hunting pellets slow down pretty fast too.
Hey Danman,
Thanks for replying. I have an 30 cal FX King with a 600 barrel with an Integrix IX8 LPVO Scope. I was using a 20+ year old Wehrauch 22 cal break-barrel which was great for pigeons (and the pellet wouldn't go through the barn roof), but pellets (Predator PolyMag) would bounce off groundhogs and raccoons at 30 yards. For that reason, I went to 30 cal PCP. I agree at 30 yards using the FX Hybrid slug, it smokes them through and through, so after reading Tom Gavin's 2020 article in HAM, I figured that what he described is the type of slug I needed. I'm surprised that there isn't anything commercially available. But as mentioned in my first post, I'm new to PCP air rifles and ammo, with much to learn.
 
Up to 30Y a good expanding hunting pellet (esp in .30 cal) is all you need. These 3 were shot into water jugs at 25Y a month or so back. Absolutely devastating. I find accuracy can be a bit less in a "hunting" pellet compared to the average diabolo but to that distance, not a problem! I know the Hades come in .30 anyways...
 

Attachments

  • 20240518_202745.webp
    20240518_202745.webp
    213.4 KB · Views: 3
Up to 30Y a good expanding hunting pellet (esp in .30 cal) is all you need. These 3 were shot into water jugs at 25Y a month or so back. Absolutely devastating. I find accuracy can be a bit less in a "hunting" pellet compared to the average diabolo but to that distance, not a problem! I know the Hades come in .30 anyways...
Probably lots cheaper too boot...
 
Up to 30Y a good expanding hunting pellet (esp in .30 cal) is all you need. These 3 were shot into water jugs at 25Y a month or so back. Absolutely devastating. I find accuracy can be a bit less in a "hunting" pellet compared to the average diabolo but to that distance, not a problem! I know the Hades come in .30 anyways...
Great advice Danman! Good to be able to connect with experienced shooters here.
 
Predator Polymag .30 cal 44.75 grain if they will shoot well from your gun. The Polymags have a rapid expansion and because of that have less penetration but can be devastating.
Thanks Chief. That's in line with what Danman suggested - pellets over slugs for short shots. I'll keep the slugs for long distance shots.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create FREE account

Create a FREE account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Trending in this forum

Back
Top