Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Break Barrel My Review of the HW35ES in .22 caliber

jps2486

HAM Ranger
503
1,559
HAM Points
1,404.50
Country flag
Last edited:
Using my HAM points, which Stephen Archer graciously helped me redeem, I purchased a Weihrauch HW35ES in .22 caliber from AOA. A couple of months ago, I bought the blue version in .177 and was so smitten with it, I had to have one in .22 with the "stainless look" finish. I also opted for the Super Tune where AOA's technicians take the gun apart, clean it and re-lube it in the proper fashion. The .177 rifle that I previously purchased did not have that option, but I felt that a good re-lube would be a good idea. The .177 shot well right out of the box, but the .22 was just a bit smoother. Maybe that's just the placebo effect, but I do sense a smoother shot cycle and I think it was worth it and would do it again.

I proceeded to chronograph and check it's accuracy in my 10M basement range using the following pellets:

H&N FTT 14.66 grain-596 fps
JSB 15.9 grain-591fps
Crosman Premier 14.3 grain-615 fps
RWS Meisterkugeln WC 14 grain-633 fps
JSB Hades 15.9 grain-601 fps
JSB 14.35 grain-625 fps
JSB 18.13 grain-552 fps

Out of the box, the fit and finish of this rifle is the best that HW has produced. The "stainless look" is a matt finish and appears to me to be a form of nickel plating. The walnut stock is exactly the same as the one on my .177 rifle and I breathed a sigh of relief when I found the forend was checkered and not the finger groove model found on older rifles. I did not find that one attractive. A few shots with the factory open sights were encouraging and I expected excellent accuracy once I mounted the scope. I installed a set of high UTG rings and a Vector Veyron SFP 4-16 power scope over a 0.015 inch shim on rear ring. POI was not too far off when I took my first shots.

HW35ES OAL Left.webpHW35ES action.webp

I then proceeded to shoot 5 shot groups of each pellet. I shot 4 groups of each to ensure the consistency of the accuracy potential. Again, this was done in my basement 10M range over a sandbag with no particular hold technique. All these HW35 models shoot about 12 fpe, more or less. Mine was between 11.6 and 12.8 fpe. They are very smooth shooters without the snappiness of more powerful guns, and I like that. This rifle doesn't seem pellet picky, but I felt most confident shooting the JSB 15.89 grainers. Sorry, I didn't include the groups with the 18.13 grain JSBs but FYI, they are just as good, if not better than the 15.9 grainers. Next step is shooting this at 25 yards at a later time.

HW35E .22 cal 10M pellet test.webp

I have or have had the following HW rifles: R7, R8, HW97K, R9, andHW95 in addition to these two HW35Es. The R9, HW95 and the HW97K were tuned down to around 12 fpe. I am not a hunter, so I don't need the additional power. At his lower power level, there's still plenty of oomph in the and they are much more smooth and confortable to shoot and can reach out to 50 yards or more with no problem. Beside the R7, I'm really liking the HW35s. I always thought they were the ugly ducklings of the HW line and I swore I'd never buy one, but I'm glad I listened to the positive comments by other owners.
 
You didn't mention how they effortlessly snap shut like a bank vault with a quiet "snick." That's my favorite part of the HW35. I borrowed one from a friend, and they are unique and interesting shooters. One day I will own one. That nickel finish looks really handsome. Curious to see how it holds up over time vs. the blued finish. Do you still have to wipe it down with an oily rag after handling?

Hey isn't the R9 and the HW95 the same gun? Two different calibers? Different stocks? A comparison would be interesting.
 
Using my HAM points, which Steven Archer graciously helped me redeem, I purchased a Weihrauch HW35ES in .22 caliber from AOA. A couple of months ago, I bought the blue version in .177 and was so smitten with it, I had to have one in .22 with the "stainless look" finish. I also opted for the Super Tune where AOA's technicians take the gun apart, clean it and re-lube it in the proper fashion. The .177 rifle that I previously purchased did not have that option, but I felt that a good re-lube would be a good idea. The .177 shot well right out of the box, but the .22 was just a bit smoother. Maybe that's just the placebo effect, but I do sense a smoother shot cycle and I think it was worth it and would do it again.

I proceeded to chronograph and check it's accuracy in my 10M basement range using the following pellets:

H&N FTT 14.66 grain-596 fps
JSB 15.9 grain-591fps
Crosman Premier 14.3 grain-615 fps
RWS Meisterkugeln WC 14 grain-633 fps
JSB Hades 15.9 grain-601 fps
JSB 14.35 grain-625 fps
JSB 18.13 grain-552 fps

Out of the box, the fit and finish of this rifle is the best that HW has produced. The "stainless look" is a matt finish and appears to me to be a form of nickel plating. The walnut stock is exactly the same as the one on my .177 rifle and I breathed a sigh of relief when I found the forend was checkered and not the finger groove model found on older rifles. I did not find that one attractive. A few shots with the factory open sights were encouraging and I expected excellent accuracy once I mounted the scope. I installed a set of high UTG rings and a Vector Veyron SFP 4-16 power scope over a 0.015 inch shim on rear ring. POI was not too far off when I took my first shots.

View attachment 15354View attachment 15355

I then proceeded to shoot 5 shot groups of each pellet. I shot 4 groups of each to ensure the consistency of the accuracy potential. Again, this was done in my basement 10M range over a sandbag with no particular hold technique. All these HW35 models shoot about 12 fpe, more or less. Mine was between 11.6 and 12.8 fpe. They are very smooth shooters without the snappiness of more powerful guns, and I like that. This rifle doesn't seem pellet picky, but I felt most confident shooting the JSB 15.89 grainers. Sorry, I didn't include the groups with the 18.13 grain JSBs but FYI, they are just as good, if not better than the 15.9 grainers. Next step is shooting this at 25 yards at a later time.

View attachment 15356

I have or have had the following HW rifles: R7, R8, HW97K, R9, andHW95 in addition to these two HW35Es. The R9, HW95 and the HW97K were tuned down to around 12 fpe. I am not a hunter, so I don't need the additional power. At his lower power level, there's still plenty of oomph in the and they are much more smooth and confortable to shoot and can reach out to 50 yards or more with no problem. Beside the R7, I'm really liking the HW35s. I always thought they were the ugly ducklings of the HW line and I swore I'd never buy one, but I'm glad I listened to the positive comments by other owners.
Great review. Thank you!
 
You didn't mention how they effortlessly snap shut like a bank vault with a quiet "snick." That's my favorite part of the HW35. I borrowed one from a friend, and they are unique and interesting shooters. One day I will own one. That nickel finish looks really handsome. Curious to see how it holds up over time vs. the blued finish. Do you still have to wipe it down with an oily rag after handling?

Hey isn't the R9 and the HW95 the same gun? Two different calibers? Different stocks? A comparison would be interesting.
I suspect the nickel plating is the electroless variety which is very hard and uniform thickness everywhere. I don’t plan to wipe it down after each use.

Yes, the R9 and HW95 are the same gun with the exception of the iron sights. I bought the R9 a few years ago. It had no sights and had an ersatz muzzle brake, and a beech stock. The stock was kinda blah and I didn’t use it much , so I sold it. It did shoot well and I should have kept it in retrospect. Then I saw a next to new HW95 with a walnut stock on AOA for a very attractive price. I like walnut stocks so I bought it. It was really snappy and twangy and not so accurate. Out came the guts and in went a Vortek HO kit. No more twang and accuracy improved , but still pretty snappy. I replaced the spring with a 12 fpe spring and now it’s to my liking. I still like the sightless version though.
 
You didn't mention how they effortlessly snap shut like a bank vault with a quiet "snick." That's my favorite part of the HW35. I borrowed one from a friend, and they are unique and interesting shooters. One day I will own one. That nickel finish looks really handsome. Curious to see how it holds up over time vs. the blued finish. Do you still have to wipe it down with an oily rag after handling?

Hey isn't the R9 and the HW95 the same gun? Two different calibers? Different stocks? A comparison would be interesting.
I have a HW50s in that finish. It seems more durable than bluing. I don't see any scratches or marks on mine, and I've only wiped it when I have got it wet.
 
What has crossed my mind is a Synthetic stock to just leave at my daughter's, maybe on the HW30
Then I'm not transporting 380 miles a few times a year. But the 35 would be my choice for out in the country like that. Still a easy break compared to others.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create FREE account

Create a FREE account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Trending in this forum

Back
Top