Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

I’ve Just Been To A Parallel Airgun Universe

  • Original poster
Last edited by a moderator:
1690304547769.webp

A parallel airgun universe. What? Have I (finally) lost it?

Well, no I’ve not lost it – or at least I hope not. But it’s true, there is a parallel airgun universe. I was there at the weekend and it was alive and well.

What am I talking about? Please bear with me and read on…


A Little Background​


Surprisingly for an ex-pat Brit, I never got into airguns until moving to the USA nearly 30 years ago. (I was shooting Lee Enfield and Mauser 98 firearms back in the old country). The credit for initiating me into airguns belongs firmly to a certain James Kitching.

James – now sadly long departed – was the owner of the improbably-named “Fun Supply” airgun website. From there, I purchased my first air rifle. It was a QB78. It didn’t work. So I fixed it and that was my first step into airguns.

I hope that others also remember James Kitching. He was a great innovator in the airgun universe. He, it was, who started the original “Fun Supply Yellow Airgun Forum”, the original online airgun Forum (so far as I know). Over the years, this morphed into the once-dominant “Yellow Forum” and then to the current “Airgun Warriors” version.

Looking around the local gun shops and big box sporting goods stores back in the late 90s, I found few airguns and certainly nothing like my QB78s!

So, as a new airgun owner, I was firmly locked-in to the online Fun Supply store and Forum as my source of airguns and information.

I’ve Just Been To A Parallel Airgun Universe



The Local Airgun Environment​


Over the years, the friendly, traditional gun shop has – sadly – become an endangered species around here in upstate New York. Those wonderful, huge, quarterly local Gun Shows withered away, too. But neither was ever a compelling source for airguns.

Then, it has to be said, that neither my wife nor I are “big box store” or mall shoppers. We absolutely prefer to buy from local, bricks-and-mortar specialist stores where we can. If not we will buy from specialist vendors online.

Sure, I make occasional visits to big box stores. I’ve watched the airgun selection at our local WalMart change from acceptable, to restricted, to – now – nearly non-existent. There’s a Dick’s Sporting Goods location near us, but that gave-up on airguns (or any guns) completely.

Gander Mountain flared-up with a big branch locally – with plenty of airguns – but then disappeared as rapidly as it arrived. The trend goes on…


Finally – The Parallel Airgun Universe​


So it was a HUGE surprise when I visited the local Sportsman’s Warehouse this weekend. It was surprising for three reasons. One that I went there! Second, it had airguns. Thirdly it had lots of them – great stock in a wide profusion of models.

That’s where I found my parallel airgun universe!!!

So what makes it a parallel universe?

Well, it was a completely PCP-free zone!

In Hard Air Magazine, the HAM Community and other specialist online airgun stores and media, the vast majority of the talk is about PCP air rifles. Sure, break barrel air rifles are popular – there’s still a ton of Weihrauchs being sold. Dianas, too.

But basically “my”, and possibly “our” airgun universe has become dominated by PCPs in recent years. Just look at the ratio of “piston” shooters compared to those running PCPs at the recent, local, Finger Lakes Field Target shoot, for example.

If you examine the top-selling airguns lists published annually by Pyramyd Air, the traditional, single-shot, “Zillion FPS” break barrel air rifles have disappeared from sight. They’ve been replaced by PCPs.

Yet here at Sportsman’s Warehouse, that alternative, parallel airgun universe was very much alive!

I’ve Just Been To A Parallel Airgun Universe



The Shopping Experience​


Although I’m guessing that the shoppers there have access to the Internet – they all had mobile phones – they were examining the brightly-colored airgun boxes with enormous interest.

“Wow, this is great! It does 1,100 FPS,” said one customer. “No this is better,” said another. “It shoots 1,250 FPS”.

As you can see from these photographs, Sportsmans Warehouse had a ton of airguns in stock. Crosman, Benjamin, Gamo and Umarex were all represented in strength. There was a Stoeger Airguns model, too.

True, there were some multi-pump Crosman 362s. Plus the inevitable 760s and Daisy Red Ryders.

Then there were the CO2-powered airguns. A few lonely full-auto Crosman boxes remained, although it looked as though most had been sold. The store website shows some Umarex Legends full-autos, but they were out of stock when I visited.

Umarex had locked-up the prestigious “end cap” location with a stack of CO-powered Ruger 10/22 air rifles, too.

I’ve Just Been To A Parallel Airgun Universe


But the overwhelming majority of airgun SKUs were for “traditional” single-shot break barrel air rifles. Plus a few of those newfangled multi-shot spring/piston models. There was not a PCP in sight. They just didn’t exist in this parallel airgun universe.


Why No PCPs?​


Well I’m guessing that price is a major factor. The most expensive airgun I saw was selling for $299.99. The majority for much less. $99.99 was still a popular price.

Then it seems that many big box sporting goods stores have never come to grips with the charging requirement for PCPs.

At least a couple of companies have made brave efforts to combine PCP charging with the gun in one box. I believe that was to appeal to the big box stores.

One was the American Tactical Nova Freedom with it’s built-in hand pump. Another is the Umarex Origin combo, where the PCP air rifle and pump are separate but bundled together in the same retail box. There may be more…

But essentially, PCPs do not exist in this parallel airgun universe. Maybe they never will.

I’ve Just Been To A Parallel Airgun Universe


So when you observe the airgun industry introducing apparently-endless “new” single-shot break barrel air rifles and – like me – wonder why, here’s the answer.

Maybe those enthusiastic customers I observed will – one day – move on to higher-end airguns like PCPs. Maybe they will tire of the heavy cocking effort and mysterious lack of accuracy of the springers (because they are not told the hold requirements). Maybe the inevitable 
“pinch point” blisters from the pumpers will hurt too much. Maybe the heavy trigger pull and limited range of the CO2-powered multi-shot pellet guns will grow old.

But maybe not. Just possibly they will be happy with their airguns and love them for what they are. I hope so.

At any event I was reminded that a “non PCP” parallel airgun universe exists. That’s a good thing as I had long forgotten it. Had you?


The post I’ve Just Been To A Parallel Airgun Universe appeared first on Hard Air Magazine.
 
For some folks this is all they know airguns to be, and are drawn in by thinking higher fps makes something better. The reality is the majority of the products in box stores are plastic toys and in no way resemble what the majority of serious end users would consider quality. I guess in a way they either get people into the sport or make them never want to touch another Airrifle again. As Stephen said, really about fun but the age of plastic has imo really ruined it for heirloom quality.
 
Thousands of folks grew up shooting the lonely 22LR, and loved every bit of it. Probably more game has been taken with a 22LR than any caliber you could conger about. Those days aren't over, but the lack of ammo is surely a reason for so many are gravitating to cheap break barrel airguns. Let us all hope that simple cheap break barrels will lead their owners to the real world of PCP.
 
For some folks this is all they know airguns to be, and are drawn in by thinking higher fps makes something better. The reality is the majority of the products in box stores are plastic toys and in no way resemble what the majority of serious end users would consider quality. I guess in a way they either get people into the sport or make them never want to touch another Airrifle again. As Stephen said, really about fun but the age of plastic has imo really ruined it for heirloom quality.
I don't think people stumble into heirloom quality, or that it's going away. It has just become more expensive to buy something that will last and become an heirloom. People that want a good 'anything' will seek it out. The majority of people buying these plastic fantastics at a Sportsman's Warehouse aren't, and weren't, looking to spend big money anyway. You hit the nail right on the head with your point of getting people into it, or driving them away though. Truer words were never spoken.
 
I've written on this forum and others for my love of springers and pumpers. I resent even the thought of having to lug the various accruements necessary for shooting pcps. I can hardly lift my friend's compressor, much less lug it out to the range. Not going to happen! Springers and pumpers are all I need or desire. Just my opinion. . . yours may surely be different. Orv.
 
I've written on this forum and others for my love of springers and pumpers. I resent even the thought of having to lug the various accruements necessary for shooting pcps. I can hardly lift my friend's compressor, much less lug it out to the range. Not going to happen! Springers and pumpers are all I need or desire. Just my opinion. . . yours may surely be different. Orv.
My downfall; i can love them all🥺🤣🤷‍♂️
So i own at least 2 of them all🥴
Gotta have .177 AND .22🤷‍♂🤓
My pcps get charged at home. No extra gear for me. Until I get more gear that eoll stay at.home minus a bottle to top off from in the future.
My .22 pcp is my walk and stalk mini carbine setup. So no need for refills; gets about 20 shots with great energy for short range; anything out of its range for hunting; I'm in a place and area where I can switch to a side/firearm if need be. I don't use this setup for plinking.
Now my .177 pcp is a paper punching/ plinking queen. My most expensive airgun. It gets over 100 shots on a fill. For me; I always take more than one slinger to the range. So when I take the .177 pcp, it puts on quite the show for what I want it to do. It let's me sit and load up a magazine, get comfy, fire downrange, see where the projectile is going, adjust, retract the bolt for the mag's round, and repeat until I need a new mag. Then I can repeat this process around 15 times without ever breaking open breech like a break barrel, no pump to load up a valve(because it's already got air), virtually zero recoil, the moderator from Buck-rail.com quiets it down to a whisper, and then once it lowers down to a certain pressure; I get out my next slinger and have some more fun🤷‍♂️🤓🤟🤪🤙
 
There are clubs, but most of them are all but silent—no pun intended! The land owner of where I do most of my outings is a firearms convert, thanks in part to the lack of noise from airguns. Yet, try as we may, recruiting others isn't as effective as recruiting firearms. Sign of the times I suspect. So we just buddy up and do our things, and enjoy what we have. Que sera sera.
 
I've written on this forum and others for my love of springers and pumpers. I resent even the thought of having to lug the various accruements necessary for shooting pcps. I can hardly lift my friend's compressor, much less lug it out to the range. Not going to happen! Springers and pumpers are all I need or desire. Just my opinion. . . yours may surely be different. Orv.
I understand completely what you're saying, but, I have been on both sides of this for a long time too. I still have 2 FWB124D springers, almost 40 years old and had a H/W too (my brother's now). They are in no way easier to shoot and lug around than say a Benjamin P-Rod, or the new Notos. Plus the springers are louder and more violent shooting cycle and your scope doesn't have to be built for recoil. Add in the fact that pumping them with a hand pump is pretty easy, and handpumps are not heavy. Springers are heavy and you work every time you want to shoot, there are no peacefully sublime moments where you just shoot, cycle the action and enjoy yourself and the day. Every shot has you working and loading with springers. If you already have your pcp pumped up and want to fire a few shots you not only don't need any special equipment with you, you don't have to do anything but shoot. And because most have magazines, you don't have to grab your tin of pellets either. Yes, if you want to shoot a lot, you will want a compressor with a bottle and the equipment, but having done both for a long time I find that aspect inconsequential compared to how much more pleasurable the actual shooting experience is with pcp. Pumpers take the fun out of shooting too. I want to shoot when it's time to shoot, not pump all day for one shot. Different strokes I guess, I have done, and do both, but I do prefer my shooting time these days to be quiet and less frenetic. Opinions sometimes change.
 
Last edited:
Pumacarl: you and I are riding on the same highway . . . it's just that I'm enjoying my Volkswagen Bug while you're rushing by in your Lexus. I rather don't mind the weight of my guns, or the fact that they must be cocked. I know how serene it must be just cruising along, not having to do anything . . . just point and shoot. Yes, but I thoroughly enjoy the skills involved shooting my springers. Orv.
 
I'm genuinely happy that you are happy. I know many people who cannot clear their mind of work and have no hobbies or outside interests and it's a very sad thing. I think what we are all doing here is great and I wouldn't want to see anyone miss out on the different aspects of the experience that they may not have considered or have misconstrued. I only this year, bought what most everyone agrees is a truly great pcp airgun. All of my other pcp's were made great by me. I have also worked on Benjamin and $100 Crosman breakbarrels that I got shooting as accurate as my FWB's. I know what I'm talking about and I'm not careening down the highway blissfully unaware, I have been working in the garage my whole life on the cars, so to speak, on the Yugo's not the Lexus. That's why I appreciate what I have now, I didn't buy my way in. I also have 10s of thousands of shots through breakbarrels so I understand those completely too. I was just trying to impress upon you to not dismiss the whole pcp thing just because it seems to be not worth it to you. But hey, by all means do what you like!
 
A local outdoor chain, Fin, Feather, Fur Outfitters carries PCP airguns. Some LGS do, too. But until Crosman releases the 3662/7 in a kit form with gun, pump, and other accessories (That's a hint, Phil!), probably won't see PCP guns in wider distribution.
That said, it would be useful to see an "improved plinker" for sale at the big box stores. Keep the weight up and velocity down for a smoother shot cycle. A 7 1/2 pound rifle shooting 14.3 grain .22 at around 600 fps.
And include a large warning sheet saying YOU MUST USE THE ARTILLERY HOLD FOR ACCURACY! Then a description of how to do the hold. Just my $ 0.02.
 
Last edited:
Wow that’s quite the selection!!! More than my local Bass Pro/Cabelas! Also I wish there was just a store for air guns & air gun accessories!! Just like a firearms store only for air gunners!! Somebody make that happen and let me franchise it!!
 
Some very interesting comments here, however here in the UK most Gun shops are predominantly PCP sales, with a "smattering" of Springers, not forgetting the generally awful Gas Ram Rifles, these tend to be more of the cheaper end of Rfle sales.

Of course the premium "springers" Air Arms & Weihrauch are still well represented. Weihrauch are still selling strongly, Air Arms have supply issues & are getting very expensive, a Walnut stock Prosport is nudging £1000 a Beech stock TX200 £700!!! & there's barely any Diana Air Rifles anywhere, which is a shame, in my opinion Diana are as good as Weihrauch.

Then of course there is the plethora of budget "springers" all made in China of course, so, that leads us back to PCP, of which I am a confirmed convert, FX & Daystate 😁
 
There may be more than I realize, but the main PCP dealers number less than your fingers. I think the closest one to SW Kansas, is a tossup between AoA and Utah Airguns. Shame really, but not surprising.
The real shame is they both deal mostly in the real expensive ones. Pyramyd Air in Ohio has more reasonably priced PCPs.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create FREE account

Create a FREE account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Trending in this forum

Back
Top