Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

H&N Baracuda Power .22?

Anarchy16

HAM Plinker
12
97
HAM Points
104.50
Country flag
Any experience with H&N Baracuda Power .22? Are they better than standard lead Match?

Hi everyone,

I've recently got interested in the copper-plated H&N Baracuda Power pellets in .22 caliber (21.14 grains / 1.37 g). The manufacturer promotes them as an excellent hunting round that is gentle on the barrel and offers incredible penetration.

But is it actually that good in reality? Does anyone here have real-world experience with them? Are they any better for hunting than the standard, pure lead Baracuda Match of the same weight and shape?

Thanks for your feedback!
 
Any experience with H&N Baracuda Power .22? Are they better than standard lead Match?

Hi everyone,

I've recently got interested in the copper-plated H&N Baracuda Power pellets in .22 caliber (21.14 grains / 1.37 g). The manufacturer promotes them as an excellent hunting round that is gentle on the barrel and offers incredible penetration.

But is it actually that good in reality? Does anyone here have real-world experience with them? Are they any better for hunting than the standard, pure lead Baracuda Match of the same weight and shape?

Thanks for your feedback!
I have some from a HN multipack. Accidentally hit the backstop and it ricochetted back at me. First and last time I used those.

Wear eye pro!
 
I have some from a HN multipack. Accidentally hit the backstop and it ricochetted back at me. First and last time I used those.

Wear eye pro!
Thanks for the warning! I have been thinking a lot about these pellets in theory, focusing mainly on the low expansion and the high risk of radial imbalance. But the ricochet risk due to their extreme hardness is something that didn't immediately cross my mind, and it is a very serious, real-world safety issue. Much appreciated!
 
Thanks for the warning! I have been thinking a lot about these pellets in theory, focusing mainly on the low expansion and the high risk of radial imbalance. But the ricochet risk due to their extreme hardness is something that didn't immediately cross my mind, and it is a very serious, real-world safety issue. Much appreciated!
I disliked them when I tried them out of both my pcps. Not as accurate as lead and yet....they still contain lead lol, so not a real lead free option either.
They do hit HARD though and my ghost will flatten them out pretty good on any hard surface target, the S510 (32fpe) not so much.
Mine also came in an H&N multipack....dont think I would buy them on there own. For pesting I think they would be fine, albeit minimal expansion. These days I stick to pure lead.
 
It's an ultra-thin plating. Has almost no effect on the pellet's hardness. BHN of lead is 5. 20% harder is 6. Still dead soft by any measure.

Marketing ploy. Separates airguners from their money...
 
I have some from a HN multipack. Accidentally hit the backstop and it ricochetted back at me. First and last time I used those.

Wear eye pro!
Curious now🤔 ....what kinda fpe was your gun making with that ricochet? In my experience it is a bad idea to shoot hard targets with weaker air rifles, ive even had pellets bounce back at me on plywood around 450fps!
I shoot steel a fair bit with my pcps at various distances and never really get ricochets? Here's some steel I shot a while ago and all pellets landed on a blanket in front of target or were stuck in the steel. Shots taken at 20-25Y with 32 and 53fpe pcps. Different gauge steel shims.
You can see the copper layer pulls back pretty good on impact with steel on the H&Ns.
Accuracy was decent but not as good as lead equivalents.
 

Attachments

  • 20240811_133051.webp
    20240811_133051.webp
    101.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240811_134418.webp
    20240811_134418.webp
    234.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240811_135953.webp
    20240811_135953.webp
    88.8 KB · Views: 2
It's an ultra-thin plating. Has almost no effect on the pellet's hardness. BHN of lead is 5. 20% harder is 6. Still dead soft by any measure.

Marketing ploy. Separates airguners from their money...
I wonder if I could come up with a test safely comparing the ricochet tendency between these and regular Baracuda's and a few other pellets.
 
Curious now🤔 ....what kinda fpe was your gun making with that ricochet? In my experience it is a bad idea to shoot hard targets with weaker air rifles, ive even had pellets bounce back at me on plywood around 450fps!
I shoot steel a fair bit with my pcps at various distances and never really get ricochets? Here's some steel I shot a while ago and all pellets landed on a blanket in front of target or were stuck in the steel. Shots taken at 20-25Y with 32 and 53fpe pcps. Different gauge steel shims.
You can see the copper layer pulls back pretty good on impact with steel on the H&Ns.
Accuracy was decent but not as good as lead equivalents.
This was my early days of airgunning, so before my first chronograph. I would have to check my notes, but you might be right. It may have been a vintage Diana 25 springer, which would have produced relatively low fps, especially with a .22. Then again, it may have been a Diana 350 Magnum, too. All I know is, I almost messed my drawers when it hit my leather belt.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create FREE account

Create a FREE account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Trending in this forum

Back
Top