.22 What's Your Favorite?

hameditor

Hard Air Magazine Publisher
Administrator
Owner
HAM Points
Country flag
So many people love JSB pellets. But what's your favorite .22 caliber JSB pellet? Last time I checked the company manufactures no less than 11 different models in this caliber, so there's lots to choose from.

Let us know which one is your favorite and why!

18.13, the reference standard, and the pellet most likely to shoot accurately out of any .22 that I have seen.
I am 100% in agreement here, the 15.89 is a great small pest hunting pellet that comes in close second but if I am target shooting, the 18.13 is hands down the most consistent and is capable of producing sub moa at 100 yards with the right shooter.

15.89 have always been the most consistent for me, don't remember ever getting a bad tin or lot.

This should be the 25.39 in a landslide given how much better they are in wind than the others. It's too bad there's no way to know which re(re-re-)design you're going to get with a new purchase, in addition to the inconsistency within a tin.

Seriously, when you have an entire good tin these things are absolute lazers, in my original HPS I was shooting them at 955 fps and they seemed real impervious to the wind conditions they were shot in.

Seriously, when you have an entire good tin these things are absolute lazers, in my original HPS I was shooting them at 955 fps and they seemed real impervious to the wind conditions they were shot in.
Hopefully when I get around to sorting my 20 tins, I can get enough good ones to agree with you., 😉.
The remainder will get swaged into 23 gr slugs.

Last edited:
18’s for me. I haven’t tried the newer 25RDs that people have problems with, because I haven’t purchased any in a couple years since selling my last 22. But my last can were great.

At 50, the 18s could compete with the 25s in my rifles in light wind and they are so cheap! 500 in a can is nice! With them being so close, and just a quick dial of the hammer spring, my Crown could shoot either one at the same reg setting.

Love the 18s.

Last edited:
18.13 vote here. I’d really like to try the 25.39 monster’s but I’m scared I’ll curse “7 1/2 cents!” on each miss. But let me say it’s nothing like sitting at a bench next to powder burners. I asked the guy next to me who shot constantly for over an hour, how much he just spent in ammo and he replied, “I think around $800, you?” I said, I think about $10, but I did drop a bunch with all your loud explosions and “Yee Haws!”

18.13 vote here. I’d really like to try the 25.39 monster’s but I’m scared I’ll curse “7 1/2 cents!” on each miss. But let me say it’s nothing like sitting at a bench next to powder burners. I asked the guy next to me who shot constantly for over an hour, how much he just spent in ammo and he replied, “I think around $800, you?” I said, I think about $10, but I did drop a bunch with all your loud explosions and “Yee Haws!”
Buy a tin of the Monsters, then if they don't work out.... it's less than 3 boxes of cheap 5.56 ball ammo.

Last edited:
I've enjoyed using the jsb brand for many years now in almost every airgun I own. My favorite and certainly the ones I use the most are the 25gr redesigns, excellent for hunting and just all around fun. I've noticed people complain of inconsistent results, my experience is that I really need to inspect them. The problem is the skirts are so thin they can get deformed very easily. If I'm not careful I can accidentally load a bad one, usually poor accuracy. Some will go even further as to weigh and measure head sizes...that's beyond what I have time for being the non competitive type. I have however produced some exceptional groups using them out to 100 yards by just sorting them by sight. Overall, jsb makes some fantastic pellets.

If the 25.4gr Monster RD were more consistent, it'd be my favorite .22 JSB. They can be REALLY good, or REALLY bad.

Outside of the hit and miss (literally) nature of the .22 Monster RD, I'd have to say the .22/13.43 Exact Jumbo RS has to be my favorite. Held at just under 20fpe they shoot very well. They're also so hollow that they are an extremely safe pellet to use in areas where you want ZERO energy transfer beyond the initial impact. I've been shooting prairie dogs every summer with airguns for about 10 years now, and the .22/13.43 from JSB, at around 800fps, has killed far more than any other projectile.

Notos has grouped 18.13’s the best for me
Royale 400 I had liked 18.13’s

Pp700 and modded 2240 like Air Arms 16gr by a long shot. Strange it doesn’t like JSB 15.89, or at least the tin I have. Hades are a close second.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create FREE account

Create a FREE account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back