How far is an ethical shot

If I can ask....you find it disturbing as in the place the competition is isn't really safe or you more mean you can't see where your lead is hitting down range, or you just preferred the shorter distances? I have short and long range air rifles, and with the onslaught of technology the distances are definitely going out. I still plan to map out my Ghost to 100Yards and stop (for hunting anyways). It can go further but I see no real value in it. Most hunting scenarios around here I can get within 50 Yards of my quarry without chasing them off. For any paper punching or plinking I would think a nice solid backstop should do the trick. And a slug should slow down much quicker than a pellet with that expansion going on!
Its not where we are shooting it is the fact we are shooting that far. Nobody has scored a prefect 250 even at 75 yards. I'm very close 249 at 50 (in competition), but many have done 250 in N50. When someone that doesn't shoot hears about 100 yards they relate it to a football field, but don't have an idea how far that is. To shoot 200 yards they have no concept, luckily. In war terms unless your the house at the top of the hill you likely can't see something a 100 yards away, let alone 200yards

Ultimately when the summer grinds on I get 'bored' of 30/40/50 yards. I was down to shooting 9mm (empty) shells we filled em with water and with the S510 it's hardly challenging @ 40Y. We stretched it out to 60 yards last week and with the ghost and S510 no pop can was safe. But yeah 200 yards is not for me either! Ethical hunting shots equals being able to grab a second shot if the situation calls for it. At 200 yards that's unlikely to happen. Animal may be long gone by the time you get there to look for it.

Testing the theory! So I took out a bird @ 98 Yards 2 weeks back (FL22 is probably sick of hearing this?🤣) and wanted to retry that this weekend with my two .22 pcps. 55 and 30FPE @ muzzle, almost no wind. For a pest bird anyways I will keep taking these shots. If you look the BRK Ghost on the right, AA S510 on the left, all shots we're lethal or grazes/outright misses. The 1/2 inch plywood scrap was fully penetrated by all shots. (something I always test besides accuracy for hunting ranges) Coolest thing was S510 first shot, absolutely murdered the bird. Beat out the Ghost and I didn't know the holdover! Ultimately what matters now is....I need someone to gift me a range finder clearly😎

Attachments

• 20240407_161500.jpg
    20240407_161500.jpg
    819.9 KB · Views: 9
Testing the theory! So I took out a bird @ 98 Yards 2 weeks back (FL22 is probably sick of hearing this?🤣) and wanted to retry that this weekend with my two .22 pcps. 55 and 30FPE @ muzzle, almost no wind. For a pest bird anyways I will keep taking these shots. If you look the BRK Ghost on the right, AA S510 on the left, all shots were lethal or grazes/outright misses. The 1/2 inch plywood scrap was fully penetrated by all shots. (something I always test besides accuracy for hunting ranges) Coolest thing was S510 first shot, absolutely murdered the bird. Beat out the Ghost and I didn't know the holdover! Ultimately what matters now is....I need someone to gift me a range finder clearly😎
Dan, Bro, I’m Not going to pick on you about your awesome shot at 98 yards‼️👍. But 😆 I might about your target because I swear it looks like you photo enlarged some of these 10,000%IMG_1661.jpeg
😂 👍

Dan, Bro, I’m Not going to pick on you about your awesome shot at 98 yards‼️👍. But 😆 I might about your target because I swear it looks like you photo enlarged some of these 10,000%View attachment 5635
😂 👍
It's dove shape/sized. Was gonna do a side profile but in reality it was a frontal shot, tried to replicate as close as possible. Accounting for feathers/tail the shots were pretty clean. Pulled both guns out and shot at the targets, no test fires. I love Swedish berries these are the....meat eater version? I need to get out more 🧐🤣

I would say it would depend on the shooter and the conditions at the moment. Who hasn’t sent a shot they shouldn’t have? Not me certainly…🤓🙏 Ethical is always the goal, for me personally, 25-40 yards with my 17 fpe pesting machines.
Absolutely, would not even think about this with my springers, on cans/plinking/ for fun perhaps. We were shooting cans @ 60Y with them and it was super fun/challenging but they just don't carry the energy needed that far. TX is doing 13.5ish FPE right now. And as always when pesting if I can get closer I will.

Absolutely, would not even think about this with my springers, on cans/plinking/ for fun perhaps. We were shooting cans @ 60Y with them and it was super fun/challenging but they just don't carry the energy needed that far. TX is doing 13.5ish FPE right now. And as always when pesting if I can get closer I will.
I plink successfully with my Atomic XRs and Pathfinder XR out to 102 yards consistently in my backyard. So what? That’s just for fun, on live, legit, pest critters? Sub 40 yards with “high confidence”. 99% of the time DRT…💥IMG_0085.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create FREE account

Create a FREE account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back