Disappointing Airgun Products-Let’s hear it !!

At least the big names offer parts, service and info when needed. The problem is with the cheaper stuff. I’ve sold and gave away a lot of cheap stuff because of lack of parts and service availability or just being able to call and speak with tech support
I’ve had significant problems with some rather expensive air guns. My FX Dreamline has been a considerable problem, especially with leaks. It has leaked from the time I got it. Then, a month ago, it started leaking from three points causing me to take the cylinder apart and replace every o-ring in the thing. I even disassembled the regulator looking for problems. After a LOT of work I put it back together but it still leaks from one point. This is getting ridiculous. It costs 60 plus dollars per hour to have it worked on, plus shipping there and back, plus parts. It’s beyond my limited ability to do more. The air rifle that has given me the fewest problems? My Benjamin Marauder. It’s the oldest rifle I have and has never been worked on. It still shoots like it was new.

I had the same issue with my P320. I solved it by lubing the belt, magazine housing with silicone oil and working it into the belt hinges, manually indexing the belt within the magazine housing. As long as it stays lubricated it won't jam or hang-up.
I've lubricated that belt until I felt the need for some of my special lubrication for me. Calms me right down. Damn P320 still won't shoot though. Orv.

I've lubricated that belt until I felt the need for some of my special lubrication for me. Calms me right down. Damn P320 still won't shoot though. Orv.

Well, that's disappointing to hear Doc, except for your special lubing fun, lol. What pellets are you using? I use the Crosman Premier Hollow Point and Sig Sauer Domed, they are short enough to not protrude outside the belt and feed well. Lubricating the trigger assembly, anything that helps move the belt is also advisable.

I have many bb/pellet pistols that I shoot often, all in the $100 range, or less. They all still work. Yea, some have awful triggers , but they still work. The only replicas I do not have good luck with are the Glocks. Most of these break down very easy so maintaining them is easy. ONLY big ISSUE IS GETTING PARTS AND SEALS FOR most of them is near impossable, but I have gotten some. Sig is the worse, they offer NO part support. Redwolf and Bersa have some parts that fit many. I pay good money for all of these and they should work for a while, and they do. STOP paying thousands of dollars for over priced airguns, get a bunch of these and have almost as much fun for far less. And if one craps out, its less than $100 not $2000 OR get real guns, under $500 gets you a very reliable .22 almost anything. 1714478261986.jpeg

I foolishly purchased a Sig Saur P320 pellet gun a few years back. I was all enthusiastic because of its 30 round chain magazine. What a piece of junk! They would bind and hang fire every few shots no matter how sweetly I spoke to that damn gun. I spoke with Pyramid Air about it and they sent me a couple of 20 round replacements. A bit better, but not enough. That gun has sat unused for at least a couple of years now. As I stated above . . . what a piece of junk. I actually purchased that airgun pistol to get the feel of it before purchasing a 9 mm P320. My experience so soured my on the Sig that I purchased a Springfield Arms Garrison 1911 as my carry weapon and I haven't been sorry. Orv.
Thats one I do not have , them belt drives are pretty clunkey. A couple of my collections do use the belt, and they work most of the time, but ,yea, crappy design.

I have many bb/pellet pistols that I shoot often, all in the $100 range, or less. They all still work. Yea, some have awful triggers , but they still work. The only replicas I do not have good luck with are the Glocks. Most of these break down very easy so maintaining them is easy. ONLY big ISSUE IS GETTING PARTS AND SEALS FOR most of them is near impossable, but I have gotten some. Sig is the worse, they offer NO part support. Redwolf and Bersa have some parts that fit many. I pay good money for all of these and they should work for a while, and they do. STOP paying thousands of dollars for over priced airguns, get a bunch of these and have almost as much fun for far less. And if one craps out, its less than $100 not $2000 OR get real guns, under $500 gets you a very reliable .22 almost anything. View attachment 6030
I hear you but have you taken down a pigeon or squirrel at 100 Yards with one of those guns? Nope. And the ammo for those "real" guns costs as little as the .10c per I pay for a 25grain pellet? Nope. I shoot a few thousand pellets in a year and the cost evens out vs rimfire after a while. What makes any gun NOT worth the money no matter how much or little you pay is whether or not it's repairable, are parts avaliable and things like that. Here comes the kicker. My $2000 pcp cost probably as much as your collection in this picture! As long as you get your use of it...it's worth it I'm my opinion. And I hand pump them up, no c02 cartridges needed here.

I hear you but have you taken down a pigeon or squirrel at 100 Yards with one of those guns? Nope. And the ammo for those "real" guns costs as little as the .10c per I pay for a 25grain pellet? Nope. I shoot a few thousand pellets in a year and the cost evens out vs rimfire after a while. What makes any gun NOT worth the money no matter how much or little you pay is whether or not it's repairable, are parts avaliable and things like that. Here comes the kicker. My $2000 pcp cost probably as much as your collection in this picture! As long as you get your use of it...it's worth it I'm my opinion. And I hand pump them up, no c02 cartridges needed here.
Part one does not matter, I'm not into killing animals. Scare them off, that's fine. If I was into hunting, I'd use one of my Henrys or Tippmans 22s. Ammo and CO2 are cheap, a lot less then real ammo. Still, lots of veriety and fun.

FULL DISCLAIMER: these are my own personal experiences. The same products I’m sure have worked perfect for others. I’m not putting anything down just saying what the experience was and how I dealt with it I’m not the guy to re engineer anything so anything I get I expect it to work.

Everyone has had their share of products that have been disappointing, here is my list and I’ll explain why on each and the fate of the product. Here we go:

1. Diana 34 (first premium airgun)- after a week the cocking mechanism felt like sand paper. Since it was within the return window it went right back. Never got another 34

2. Hatsan in general- Hatsans have been mostly a miss more than a hit. I’ve owned a few and all have been returned or sold. Main issues are leaks that just don’t get fixed from crude machining so no matter how many o rings I replaced still leaked. Actions are sand paper feeling. They’re accurate at at least. Never again Hatsan . Hatsan hand pump is solid

3. Hill Hand Pump- brand new pump wouldn’t pull up after a week. Returned to dealer

4. Av g9 hand pump- Solid unit but for some reason only did half pumps. Gave it away

5. Seneca Aspen .22- leaked out the first night - went right back to dealer

6. Benjamin Akela- this one was a nightmare. First one had an air tank not parallel with barrel. I got an exchange. Second one learned about descending shot string, sent in for warranty, Benjamin just sent me another gun. The third one had the same issue as the first and again descending shot string. Benjamin wanting me to pay for return shipping on their garbage. I kept it and the trigger stopped working (I don’t tune or mess with things just fyi I just shoot). That was it, I just sold it as a parts gun. Never another Craftsman Line.

7. Nomad 2- after 2 years the piston burned out even after following manufacturer guidelines. I attempted repair but broke something lol straight into the garbage lol. The compressor is too expensive no more Nomad for me.

8. Air Marksman Compressor- This was the replacement for the nomad wow what a pile. After a year and a half it smelled like burning. Sold super cheap with full disclosure.

9. Vevor compressor- stopped working within warranty period (Walmart warranty) sent back for refund.

10. AEA semi autos- first one didn’t cycle in .22 kept jamming exchanged for a .30. The triggers were horrible and the shot cycle sounded like a rattle can. I sold it. There’s no substitute for a good semi.

I’ll list more as I remember I don’t want to make this long
im in the buy once cry once (pay more) school... so far so good... bummer that you suffered the wrath of terrible production items.

STOP paying thousands of dollars for over priced airguns, get a bunch of these and have almost as much fun for far less. And if one craps out, its less than $100 not $2000 OR get real guns, under $500 gets you a very reliable .22 almost anything.
You’ve made this blanket statement, but are you even thinking about the fact that not everyone can own a firearm? An individual might live somewhere where it is forbidden or perhaps they personally cannot. A pellet gun or rifle may be all they can have possibly with heavy restrictions.

I am thankful every day that I live where I can own them and do NOT have any restrictions other than the normal red tape.

Not everyone in the world is able to or easily.

ISTOP paying thousands of dollars for over priced airguns, get a bunch of these and have almost as much fun for far less. And if one craps out, its less than $100 not $2000 OR get real guns, under $500 gets you a very reliable .22 almost anything.
😳😳😳I’ve been doing it wrong all along ? Maybe I will start shooting my .22 LR in my back yard and see how fast the SWAT team shows up.

Part one does not matter, I'm not into killing animals. Scare them off, that's fine. If I was into hunting, I'd use one of my Henrys or Tippmans 22s. Ammo and CO2 are cheap, a lot less then real ammo. Still, lots of veriety and fun.
Here we go with the animal killing again....so your a vegan I hope? All meat you eat has to be killed first man. But forget that ....can you plink or shoot paper at 50/100Y with em then? It's more challenging with an air rifle but thats part of the fun vs rimfires imo! And no I can't shoot any firearms on my 1.3 acre property either, And I'm OK with that. Air rifles (expensive or cheap) fit the bill nicely for me and the neighbors. I like short distance and long distance shooting. Horses for courses as they say.

Here we go with the animal killing again....so your a vegan I hope? All meat you eat has to be killed first man. But forget that ....can you plink or shoot paper at 50/100Y with em then? It's more challenging with an air rifle but thats part of the fun vs rimfires imo! And no I can't shoot any firearms on my 1.3 acre property either, And I'm OK with that. Air rifles (expensive or cheap) fit the bill nicely for me and the neighbors. I like short distance and long distance shooting. Horses for courses as they say.
I don't get the impression he was against hunting, probably just not what he uses airguns for...and that's totally cool. For me, I hunt with lots of guys that use firearms. Not tooting my own horn but I'm typically the one who walks away at the end of the day successful and I don't think it's necessary the fact I'm using an airgun. It's plenty of experience with failed hunting trips that have improved my skills. Lol I get a little frustrated when I hear the word "real guns" because I'm clear on just how capable an airgun can be for hunting purposes. Some folks prefer using a bow, black powder rifle, catapult etc, to me spending money on high quality gear that I enjoy and use on a regular basis is completely reasonable. I realized a long time ago some people just aren't into it enough to make a commitment purchasing a higher end Airgun. It can be very expensive but unless you are really into it completely unnecessary imo.

Last edited:
So the whole point of quality guns for me are smooth, repetitive and consistent performance. This is an example of my little guy demonstrating just that. She’s been tossed around in a backpack, had a leak, I repaired it. Still performs. Try that with a budget gun without putting a weeks worth of work. Nothing against budget guns it just doesn’t work for me. This is on a pair of trigger sticks sitting on the floor at 25 yards. Dead anything fur or feathered all day. 2 shots but only needed one

Attachments

• IMG_0455.jpeg
    IMG_0455.jpeg
    422.2 KB · Views: 7

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create FREE account

Create a FREE account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back