Are you a shooter or a tuner?

Yeah once set that’s it. To me having one gun with multiple barrels is silly unless it’s easy like a Ghost from what I hear and leishy Classic from my experience but even then I’d rather buy another gun than tune for another caliber lol
well....for me it was easy... 22 barrel kit for ~$500 or a .22 Ghost, scope etc for >$3k...going from 117 HP to 22HP is a matter of looking at my notes for the pellet(s) I want to shoot, then putting in the appropriate Hammer Spring and changing the barrel out, adjusting the Power Wheel all can be done in well under 10 minutes....POI has typically been within a couple of inches of the cross hairs...so couple shots to adj the scope and now I am shooting .22s
The Ghost's ability to allow for optimal velocity for different pellets and pellet calibers from the same power plant is what sold me on it ( and of course the reports on how accurate/precise it is)

i think a new gun shoyld do what it is advrtized to do and you shouldnt have to mess with it, thats me.
if you buy a pellet gun that says it will be happy with a 18gr pellet then it should be just that.

if i was to decide i want to move to a 24gr or 4gr then i would have no issues in tuning.
but i would rather shoot then tune.
then again i am not bench shoot and try a crap load of differant type of ammo. maybe someday

i think a new gun shoyld do what it is advrtized to do and you shouldnt have to mess with it, thats me.
if you buy a pellet gun that says it will be happy with a 18gr pellet then it should be just that.

if i was to decide i want to move to a 24gr or 4gr then i would have no issues in tuning.
but i would rather shoot then tune.
then again i am not bench shoot and try a crap load of differant type of ammo. maybe someday
Should - but many times does not in my experience. Sometimes reg tuned too low and HS set too high and blowing air inefficiently.

Also plenty of times gun tuned for one projectile, but you bought it with another projectile in mind of a heavier or lighter weight.

And let's be honest here - how much of this tuning is necessary vs just putzing around and having fun trying out different things.

Most people who tinker likely have multiple setups. I know I do. Some are tuned and set and just for their best shooting while the others are for playtime.

My job at the wood shop involves lots of figuring out how to build and install the require parts for entire apartments. All our clients have 5th Ave, Park Place, or Sutton Place addresses. Lots of mental gymnastics, for me shooting is an escape from that. I spent the coin, to have my PCPs simply perform right out the box. Have zero interest in chasing tunes, plinking, pesting, targets? Oh yeah, tuning?🙀👎🙏

My job at the wood shop involves lots of figuring out how to build and install the require parts for entire apartments. All our clients have 5th Ave, Park Place, or Sutton Place addresses. Lots of mental gymnastics, for me shooting is an escape from that. I spent the coin, to have my PCPs simply perform right out the box. Have zero interest in chasing tunes, plinking, pesting, targets? Oh yeah, tuning?🙀👎🙏
Totally fair perspective. I deal with idiots who delete their emails and then blame IT and scream and escalate up to the CTO for no reason. Tuning is very therapeutic when you deal with people who make millions yet are so stupid in so many ways.

i would have thought i would have been more interested in tuning then i am. i am a musican and i absolutly would rather research and tweak what i play then to play i wold rather study research and learn but on the guns i just enjoy shooting and really have little to no interest in tuning.
my figured first thing i would want to do was rip one appart and go to the shop LOL not yet.

I think that a lot of you aren't looking at cheap airguns correctly for the opportunity that they are. Number one, they're cheap, and for a reason. If they did all that finishing and extra work, guess what, no longer cheap. Number two, like any tech of anything knows, the more you do the better you do it. Learn things on the cheap guns and get comfortable doing it. If time is money, it cost a lot less to buy a cheap gun and learn some stuff, than to buy an expensive gun and lose it for weeks to shipping it out and having someone else do something simple to it. Number three, you will end up with a gun that you completely understand and shoots amazingly well, considering its selling price, in the first place. As for tuning or tinkering with top tier guns, sure, you can usually skip it, that's what your paying for. I for one though will not trust shipping out my nice guns anymore, no way, unless I would actually have a manufacturers defect that I couldn't fix. If you all would really rather be shooting than tuning or tinkering, than working on your own guns, and not shipping them out is going to have them in your hands more often. That's just how I look at it, what I don't look at is the inside of a post office or shipping center, good luck with that.

i have no plans to shop a gun out if it needs something i will adress it, nothing in one of these i can not make. nothing.
but i dont want to mess with it if i dont have to and if i spend the money on a nice gun i expect it to so up ready to go.
i know others may choose to send one out buti see no reason to?
i have shop full of lathes, mills and grinders and enough to do as is and i am retired. LOL i would just rather shoot.
i see your point. i had pland on a Benjamin Marauder with plans to mod tune and tweak but i dont want a bolt i want a side lever and they desided their not offering yet again so i have to either made a new receaver block or just hold out or just make the whole gun and that is not off the table.

I’m a little of both i guess love my 2 ghosts. Bought a 177 set up for ft and once set thats where she stays cause it the best gun ive ever used for ft. The other is eft bench gun with 22&25 barrels. Its great cause now that i have it set up i can switch barrels and only change the scope a few clicks. Then i have 2 reveres 177-22 put a scope on them and shoot and enjoy when someone says nice looking rifle!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create FREE account

Create a FREE account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back