Are you a shooter or a tuner?

Whenever I buy a gun I run it over the chronograph and as long as it’s not shooting million feet per second and it’s accurate i leave it alone if it shooting a little hot, I’ll adjust it down to acceptable speeds. On my regulated guns as long as the regulator is maintaining 30 to 35 foot spread with unsorted pellets it’s good enough for me. I try not to obsess over extreme spread and standard deviation. As long as it’s accurate enough for hunting. I understand the appeal of super tunable guns but that’s not for me takes a lot of time , pellets and air but I don’t have the time honestly, my favorite gun to tune is my leishy 2 :) not much to do but set your velocity with a regulator that’s it. What do you like to do?
OMG love the question. Both? When I get a gun I clean it and shoot it, then shoot some more then chart speeds graph accuracy and scores. Then I tune, I mean I can't really stop F'ing with it. Barrel harmonics, speed, brand of pellets, weight of pellets and then combos of all the above. I put a date on the calendar in which I must pick the best of the best F'ing and then just shoot that until after the comp then it starts all over :) There I said and I feel better!!!!!

OMG love the question. Both? When I get a gun I clean it and shoot it, then shoot some more then chart speeds graph accuracy and scores. Then I tune, I mean I can't really stop F'ing with it. Barrel harmonics, speed, brand of pellets, weight of pellets and then combos of all the above. I put a date on the calendar in which I must pick the best of the best F'ing and then just shoot that until after the comp then it starts all over :) There I said and I feel better!!!!!
lol there you go a shooter at the other end of the spectrum. This is what’s great about this hobby we can do whatever we want with it. We got guys like myself who adjust to good nuff that’ll splatter a ground squirrel and we got guys who love them knobs on the guns (cringe lol ) something for everyone. I ponder these questions on the road from job to job lol

I am a tuner and have also spent a lot of time testing for various makers of .177 slugs 👍🙂

I really enjoy the progress of getting to know your particular rifle and try out a lot of different setups 🙂

My favorite rifle for testing pellets or slugs is my Daystate Delta Wolf .177 HP, because it is so easy to adjust and set up for a lot of different kind of ammunition 👍 I probably have 40-50 setups in the rifle for now 🙂

And for the past months I have been testing the new 28” slug barrel in .177 - That has really been fun and I am getting amazing results with both slugs and pellets 👍🙂🎯

Last edited:
Do or don't do, whatever you are comfortable with, within your abilities or temperament and desired objective, but I have learned and appreciated every video that I have ever watched for showing me something. Maybe it was what not to do, that's fine, I won't go there. Maybe it was helpful or entertaining, I wouldn't disparage anyone from making videos or screwing up their guns. They are learning too, at the best school: The School of Hard Knocks. A lot of the videos, like Hajimoto's, and Sub12airgunners, are just plain good.

I am a tuner and have also spent a lot of time testing for various makers of .177 slugs 👍🙂

I really enjoy the progress of getting to know your particular rifle and try out a lot of different setups 🙂

My favorite rifle for testing pellets or slugs is my Daystate Delta Wolf .177 HP, because it is so easy to adjust and set up for a lot of different kind of ammunition 👍 I probably have 40-50 setups in the rifle for now 🙂

And for the past months I have been testing the new 28” slug barrel in .177 - That has really been fun and I am getting amazing results with both slugs and pellets 👍🙂🎯
If I were to be a “tuner” I would definitely choose the Daystate line vs FX at least they don’t have 4 dials to synchronize together.

Do or don't do, whatever you are comfortable with, within your abilities or temperament and desired objective, but I have learned and appreciated every video that I have ever watched for showing me something. Maybe it was what not to do, that's fine, I won't go there. Maybe it was helpful or entertaining, I wouldn't disparage anyone from making videos or screwing up their guns. They are learning too, at the best school: The School of Hard Knocks. A lot of the videos, like Hajimoto's, and Sub12airgunners, are just plain good.
Very well said. Learning what not to do is just as important as learning what to do.

Last edited:
Very well said. Learning what not to do is just as important as learning what to do.
exactly!! I don’t tune also from watching these videos. I’ve watched “master class” with Ernest Rowe. He makes things look simple from tuning to tear downs and rebuilding but in reality if I were to attempt the same thing it would never go the same way. I’m a tech myself of commercial kitchen equipment and was a motorcycle tech for a bunch of years but I’m no air tech. I know what to tear open and what not to touch. Only touch things with proper training and with someone there to show you just in case because over the phone tech support is pretty hard to understand sometimes for me if I’m not an expert on a specific thing. I never tear down anything and leave it open for another day if I’m not an expert at putting it back together. The worst thing to do is tear something apart and create a basket case which then you have to send in to the dealer in pieces. Don’t be that guy lol. I haven’t even tuned my avenge x, why would I it shoots great with the factory tune.

I don't know whether to call myself a tuner or a tinkerer, but I have trouble leaving my guns alone. I usually already have plans for them before I make a purchase.

Less is more for me (less fiddling, more fun)!
Whenever I buy a gun I run it over the chronograph and as long as it’s not shooting million feet per second and it’s accurate i leave it alone if it shooting a little hot, I’ll adjust it down to acceptable speeds. On my regulated guns as long as the regulator is maintaining 30 to 35 foot spread with unsorted pellets it’s good enough for me. I try not to obsess over extreme spread and standard deviation. As long as it’s accurate enough for hunting. I understand the appeal of super tunable guns but that’s not for me takes a lot of time , pellets and air but I don’t have the time honestly, my favorite gun to tune is my leishy 2 :) not much to do but set your velocity with a regulator that’s it. What do you like to do?
l’m definately a shooter! I know my limits when it comes to fiddling with all the different adjustments. I learned the hard way early on and had to send a couple of airguns back for repair! I’m technology challenged 😫

Less is more for me (less fiddling, more fun)!

l’m definately a shooter! I know my limits when it comes to fiddling with all the different adjustments. I learned the hard way early on and had to send a couple of airguns back for repair! I’m technology challenged 😫
It’s not about being a technology expert. You have to have done it either on your own and screwed up and learned or have been shown. In my line of work take a simple fryer for example. People attempt to fix their fryers all the time with YouTube videos but end up calling me out for that “simple” fryer. Nothing is as simple as it looks you need to have been shown or learned the hard way. I’m the show me kinda guy in person. YouTube will give me an idea but someone next to me or even like video chat helps a lot but none of this is available to anyone other than industry experts. I get video tech support all the time on combi ovens and stuff that’s complicated. A lot of the equipment now I get called about as the tech support guy. Takes time to learn some how or another.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t make tutorials on what I do. I would confuse more people than help. There’s an expert for everything. Just sayin. I feel like the YouTube tutorials cause more problems than actually help.

I wouldn’t make tutorials on what I do. I would confuse more people than help. There’s an expert for everything. Just sayin. I feel like the YouTube tutorials cause more problems than actually hel
Lol watch sub12 airgunners vids. It literally makes me want to buy a ghost and take it apart just to check it all out. His vids (and some others) are that good. In person is better though for sure. I have often taken things apart I own just because.....my first truck, my furnace in my house (neither had issues) etc. I like to "know" what I own and how it works. Tuning and repairs heck ya! Modifying not so much. At that point I'd send for repairs probably

Lol watch sub12 airgunners vids. It literally makes me want to buy a ghost and take it apart just to check it all out. His vids (and some others) are that good. In person is better though for sure. I have often taken things apart I own just because.....my first truck, my furnace in my house (neither had issues) etc. I like to "know" what I own and how it works. Tuning and repairs heck ya! Modifying not so much. At that point I'd send for repairs probably
I really like the sub 12 guy he makes it look pretty easy but I’m sure he’s done it a few times and broken stuff lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create FREE account

Create a FREE account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back