Aafta going crazy?

Solo1

Ne pa
HAM Points
Country flag
Seems aafta has come up with some new rules for field target gp’s and nationals where yo only shoot 1 shot per target and only 2 targets per lane also on the second day you shoot the same course over.
I don’t quite get it all but it seems to have some upset. Anyone know more?

Well i just found out that I can’t shoot enough gp’s to be listed nationally so ill be just shooting local and keep several thousand dollars in my pocket that it would cost for entry, travel and lodging!

Last edited:
It's AAFTA catering to the 5-10% of American Field Target shooters that are interested in WFTF Worlds.

No personal take on that, just basing that percentage on the 50ish field target competitors that I personally know that even occasionally attend matches at the 3 clubs I attend. Of those 50, I think about 5 of them are gunning for worlds, and a couple of those 5 aren't regularly WFTF shooters, but have decided to try it in the last year, specifically b/c the next Worlds is here.

(Ie, WFTF is a small percentage of AAFTA shooters in the US. Again, no opinion, just the facts).

Additional relevant fact is that the current BOG is heavy with WFTF shooters. Again, no opinion, just the facts.

Let me tell you something about AFFTA rules. NOBODY can agree on them. And it's been like that for years which is the main reason why the sport will never grow. I sat through an AFFTA meeting as a spectator once during a national FT event. It was nothing but a pissing contest. Everybody is trying to defend shooting with the gear they spent big bucks on, and then they try tweaking the rules to jam fellow competitors before they show up for the match. AFFTA can suck it for all I care.

Sorry Mr. Moderator, but I had to vent. I feel much better, now......

Let me tell you something about AFFTA rules. NOBODY can agree on them. And it's been like that for years which is the main reason why the sport will never grow. I sat through an AFFTA meeting as a spectator once during a national FT event. It was nothing but a pissing contest. Everybody is trying to defend shooting with the gear they spent big bucks on, and then they try tweaking the rules to jam fellow competitors before they show up for the match. AFFTA can suck it for all I care.

I got your back T

First off, field target is my favorite type of airgun competition. Lots and lots of amazing people compete in ft.

One issue is the weasely types who spend more time looking for loopholes to exploit than they do shooting or practicing. Another issue is people lobbying for rule changes to make the game fit their situation better.

"When in Rome" is about the best words to live by for field target. If everybody in your class is shooting off a stool/bucket and sticks, then by golly, shoot off a stool/bucket and sticks. If nobody is using a rifle sling in your class, then don't use a rifle sling. Just shoot in the established manner for your chosen class and a whole lot of the rules drama goes away. The rules debate begins when people start getting fast and loose with the rules, trying to get an advantage. And this is the same reason there is a rules BOOK, not just a succinct set of rules.

Who cares if you shoot one shot per target? Just complaining for no good reason. Being a former MD my complaint would be more targets to set out. As a competitor I would have no complaints. It’s really the way it should be. You get one chance to figure out range, wind, etc. then take your one shot and move on.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create FREE account

Create a FREE account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back